NoGripRacing.com

Go Back   NoGripRacing Forums > PC Racing > Image Space Incorporated > rFactor

Old 5 December 07, 18:58   #1
Montoya42

Default VLN 2007 Mod by DeDios

DeDios is close to releasing his VLN 2007 mod, bringing us more than 100 cars to race on the Nürburgring Nordschleife.

The VLN is Germanys second-biggest racing series, offering an exciting mix of touring cars and GTs, racing all together on the Nordschleife. The famous Nürburgring 24h race runs to the same rules and the field consist primary of regular VLN entrants.

Previews and full carlist here
Montoya42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 07, 23:00   #2
mclarenf1

Wow, looks impressive!
mclarenf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 07, 23:05   #3
AeroMechanical

Is that all done from scratch? That's a big-ass list of cars. Even if they're conversions, it's still impressive. My only concern with mods that have so many cars is the physics. Has a lot of effort gone into each individual car's physics?

Also, and sorry I have to ask, is this a 'legit' mod? Are we going to see it on rFC? If they're conversions, where did they come from?

Love,
Aero
AeroMechanical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 07, 23:19   #4
Montoya42

First of all, I am not involved in this project other than helping DeDios to spread the word and being a follower of the VLN series

The fact that this huge mod is pretty much a one-man-show should answer most of your questions, to my understanding the creator's intension is to release the mod and continue to improve it afterwards so the released product might not be the final thing afterall
Old 5 December 07, 23:26   #5
AeroMechanical

Ah... I see. That's okay by me, I don't judge nuffin'.

The only thing that worries me is that it's not just commercial conversions, it's stuff from other mod groups. That causes big problems most of the time- unless he has permission of course, which he may well have. This does looks like a mod that should rightly exist. Nord 2.0 needs a proper series to go with it.

Good luck.

Love,
Aero
Old 5 December 07, 23:32   #6
Montoya42

Again, I am not too comfortable speaking for him but I do know that a lot of people gave their permission to help this mod getting complete.
Old 6 December 07, 00:07   #7
LordRa9826

Great news!
LordRa9826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 07, 00:46   #8
AeroMechanical

Excellent! That's good to hear. It looks like a splendid mod and I'd hate for this to turn into one of those, well, situations. That never helps anything.

Love,
Aero
Old 13 December 07, 14:17   #9
Montoya42

Good News : The VLN Mod has been released

Bad News: With that file size and download source, it might take a while until we get it :conf1:
Old 13 December 07, 14:59   #10
S.Moss

i'm 20% through it with around 3 hours remaining if speed keeps at same rate. I'm seeding at the max speed i can whilst downloading as well..
S.Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 07, 15:36   #11
pain-less

This looks great....i'll have to d/l tonight after work.
pain-less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 07, 15:43   #12
jason

Any alternative DL links,i cannott seem to register on racesim tracker site.
jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 07, 15:50   #13
Montoya42

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason View Post
Any alternative DL links,i cannott seem to register on racesim tracker site.
No, not yet. Nobody besides the creator has the mod yet, 70% of the file is distributed to other users until now.
Old 13 December 07, 16:06   #14
Hotte66

I have the 72% ^^
Hotte66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 07, 16:09   #15
S.Moss

49%, around 2 hours to go... any chance of seeding it once you've done..?
Old 13 December 07, 16:26   #16
Hotte66

...sending to a filehoster?....it would take hours....i have only DSL 1000...wait 2, 3 days and skro.de will host it on their site....further more i would have to split the whole file into 8 parts, because of the 100mb limit^^
Old 13 December 07, 16:34   #17
S.Moss

i meant seeding through torrents..
Old 13 December 07, 16:46   #18
rasfigjohn

To those who wondered about permissions... the readme says
"For some models i've permission from authors, but for others i don't have it..

I want to give all credits to all mods/modders where i've taken that models..this is REALLY IMPORTANT, because it was impossible to do my mod without work of those modding groups and their cars.."

Then he lists all the mods concerned... this is huge!
I'm not even home to start leeching.
rasfigjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 07, 16:47   #19
franklin

I have 80% rdy

Still 1 hour to go
When its rdy ill try to set it on skro.de
franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 07, 16:58   #20
S.Moss

highest speed i've had was around 200kb/s. I'm on 75% now with 18mins to go at this rate it says... i think it will slow down soon as i don't think many have a full mod yet if any..

I wonder what rFactor will be like with 104 cars running round nords :roflmao: i may have to just limit it to 60...
Old 13 December 07, 17:05   #21
Montoya42

80.6% complete.. I think this will take atleast another 2-3 hours.
Old 13 December 07, 17:11   #22
S.Moss

81%, 20 hours, ouch!!! come back who ever the seeder was!! :cry:

ah, back down to 2 hours

oh no back up to 6 and going up
Old 13 December 07, 17:40   #23
washington96

Don't you just love torrents???
washington96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 07, 17:43   #24
S.Moss

i don't mind them as long as the seeder that has the full version stays online till at least a few other people have it so more people can get a full version easier, currently 85% of the mod is available, i have now 84%
Old 13 December 07, 17:47   #25
Montoya42

I am at 86.7% and I will keep seeding for the next 24 hours straight for sure.
Old 13 December 07, 17:53   #26
S.Moss

sometimes it speeds up quite abit and then just stops dead again for a few mins, 87% now.. come on....
Old 13 December 07, 18:06   #27
Montoya42

Thats the way torrents are, bottom line is we cant get more speed than the seeder is able to put out... which is like 40 kb/s or someting like that.
Old 13 December 07, 18:07   #28
S.Moss

how come it says seeds are 0 (1) does that mean nobody is seeding? :confused: never used a torrent before apart from for the gp79 mod when that first came out.
Old 13 December 07, 18:17   #29
Montoya42

Sometimes the list seems to lose the seeder, all though he is always there. If he wouln't be, we would not be progressing
Old 13 December 07, 18:22   #30
S.Moss

thats true only 9% to go i think so many people are at 91% now that as soon as its at 100% around half of the people will be able to fully seed
Old 13 December 07, 18:23   #31
ellis

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.Moss View Post
how come it says seeds are 0 (1) does that mean nobody is seeding? :confused: never used a torrent before apart from for the gp79 mod when that first came out.
0 (1) means there is 1 seed, but you are connected to 0 seeds. It doesn't matter because lots of people are connected to the seed, so you get the parts a few seconds later than the ones connected to seed. It isn't something to worry about.
ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 07, 18:24   #32
lowndes888
Banned

Quote:
thats true only 9% to go i think so many people are at 91% now that as soon as its at 100% around half of the people will be able to fully seed
UPLOAD IT ON SOME SITE, THEN SEED!!!

lowndes888
lowndes888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 07, 18:25   #33
rasfigjohn

Quote:
From µtorrent help file...
"Seeds displays the number of seeds you are connected to, and the number of seeds in the swarm within the parentheses. The number of seeds in the swarm is an estimate based on the number of seeds µTorrent has encountered within its peer cache. If the torrent job is stopped, and bt.scrape_stopped is enabled, µTorrent will show the number of seeds in the swarm as collected from the tracker."

Old 13 December 07, 19:14   #34
S.Moss

SRT 5 is well worth watching whilst this is downloading
Old 13 December 07, 20:03   #35
Montoya42

I´m done downloading, expect screenshots soon
Old 13 December 07, 20:05   #36
S.Moss

same, but i'll play instead of taking screenshots 120 odd seeders, who ever downloads now will be getting some serious speed!
Old 14 December 07, 01:43   #37
rasfigjohn

Downloaded, installed, launched the game, loaded the track with a clio and 30 other cars, started the engine, made a few meters then it led me back to rFactor main menu...
Since I bought rFactor in september 2005 I had all sorts of Crashes... To Walls, to Cars, to Armco's, to Desktops.... but I never had no Crash to Main Menu yet... lol.
Will try it again tomorrow...
Old 14 December 07, 01:53   #38
Montoya42

This mod is pushing my system to the limit, I never had problems before but now it seems my PSU is not man enough to handle my GFX card at the high demand this mod creates.
Old 14 December 07, 08:10   #39
S.Moss

don't try and run with the porsche cayman, mine couldn't load the cayman's spec maps etc. If you run the high end cars, like the S8 and the E1 or something they seem to work best, also i've seen an audi s4 in a server, mini (old and new) so quite a few work. DRB9 is fun but its got road car brakes on it :roflmao:
Old 14 December 07, 14:58   #40
Hotte66

This mod is awesome..it will be my favorite for all time....finally I can drive the vln cars on the magnifique nordschleife....p.s...the mod is now available on skro.de ^^
Old 14 December 07, 17:34   #41
ellis

Quote:
don't try and run with the porsche cayman, mine couldn't load the cayman's spec maps etc. If you run the high end cars, like the S8 and the E1 or something they seem to work best, also i've seen an audi s4 in a server, mini (old and new) so quite a few work. DRB9 is fun but its got road car brakes on it :roflmao:
I'd imagine the DBR9s brakes are poor because despite being a DBR9 shape that will be in this mod, the real car was a DBRS9, which is considerably slower than the DBR9 in most ways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montoya42
This mod is pushing my system to the limit, I never had problems before but now it seems my PSU is not man enough to handle my GFX card at the high demand this mod creates.
I would imagine the massive amount of cars will cause some FPS issues. The GP circuit was never the most FPS friendly circuit in any sim (GTL, BMW M3, rFactor, GP4) for whatever reason, but it should be better out in the Ring itself. Night racing would be a real struggle though. I doubt many PCs will be up to running the full 100+ cars really. Try turning the texture detail from max to high, that should really help without causing too much of a graphical drop. The inclusion of cars like the GSMF 997 will hurt the FPS too, since that is quite badly optimised and designed for massvie specification PCs. Mix that in with 90 other cars and you'll be stressing your graphics card to the point where you can fry eggs on it.
Old 14 December 07, 17:43   #42
LordRa9826

[QUOTE=ellis;192855]I'd imagine the DBR9s brakes are poor because despite being a DBR9 shape that will be in this mod, the real car was a DBRS9, which is considerably slower than the DBR9 in most ways. [quote=ellis;192855]

Actually the DBRS9's brakes are the same as DBR9's.The only difference is the horsepower - the DBRS9 has about 500 compared to about 600 for the DBR9.
Old 14 December 07, 17:51   #43
RaceFreak

I really like that he asked for permissions...
i mean, i never got a mail from him whether he can use my seat, i would have said yes but nice he´s not even asking... to compare... some other guy wrote me if they can use it for GTR2...
THX DeDios!
RaceFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 07, 17:55   #44
ellis

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordRa9826 View Post
Actually the DBRS9's brakes are the same as DBR9's.The only difference is the horsepower - the DBRS9 has about 500 compared to about 600 for the DBR9.
Bit more than the horsepower. It is visually different in the suspension, wheels and aerodynamic package. Smaller wheels also. It is considerably slower of course, being a GT3 car essentially whilst the DBR9 is a GT1, which requires it to have a lot more differences than just the engine.

The DBR9 engines vary a lot too. The Phoenix car doesn't have factory support, despite what Prodrive claim. They are down on power to the works cars.
Old 14 December 07, 18:15   #45
LordRa9826

Sorry you're right the horsepower isn't the only difference but the brakes are the same.I saw them both at the FIA GT round 4 at Bucharest in the paddock and they had the same brakes.
The DBRS9 braked a little earlier but i guess that difference comes from the tire grip wich should be lower because of the narrower tire.
Old 14 December 07, 19:34   #46
Gonzaga

Sincerely I dont like much the mod but thanks anyway
Gonzaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 07, 23:17   #47
Lunsmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceFreak View Post
I really like that he asked for permissions...
i mean, i never got a mail from him whether he can use my seat, i would have said yes but nice he´s not even asking... to compare... some other guy wrote me if they can use it for GTR2...
THX DeDios!

I'm sure I read on the "deleted" thread at rsc that he had tried to contact all the mod makers but had not heard back from some - and he had plenty of permissions from those that did return his email.

but it seems rsc has deleted the thread so i can't verify this.
Lunsmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 07, 23:41   #48
S.Moss

rsc shouldn't have deleted the thread, drapin said it was fine to talk but not post links, unless of course mr klortho is around then you might as well just kiss the thread good by
Old 15 December 07, 07:24   #49
ellis

Quote:
rsc shouldn't have deleted the thread, drapin said it was fine to talk but not post links, unless of course mr klortho is around then you might as well just kiss the thread good by
You'd be amazed how much leeching goes on at RSC that isn't attended to as well.
Old 15 December 07, 12:17   #50
S.Moss

you mean in pm's? :roflmao: best delete mine quick