NoGripRacing.com

Go Back   NoGripRacing Forums > PC Racing > rFactor

Old 14 February 10, 09:57   #1
Vince Klortho

Default AI Settings

I have seen a lot of people post things saying that RF's AI is really bad and I have not found that to be true. As far as I am concerned it is as good as any of the Simbin games and that may not be saying much but those are its primary competitors so it is of significance. Going forward, I would love to see the AI observe blue flag rules but that is probably just a fantasy but I think it would really enhance the realism of multi-class racing.

Anyway, the key thing to making RF's AI behave appropriately is getting the parameters set to reasonable values. I have run across a few settings that can really improve the behavior of the AI. I am not sure where I saw these first but I think they came from a post about an MMG F1 mod at RSC. These settings go into your PLR file in the UserData/"your name" directory so make sure that you back it up before you change it so that you can un-do the changes that you make in case you don't like them.

So, here are the parameter values that I use and find to be fun to race with :

Code:
AI Power Calibration="7"        // Adjustments with AI strength (0=none, or add the following: 1=power, 2=gearing, 4=fuel)
AI Fuel Mult="0.99000"          // Additional fuel multiplier for AIs because of their driving style
AI Tire Model="0.40000"         // 0.0 = use AI peak slip, 1.0 = use player's dynamic slip, or a blend between the two (can be overrode in TBC with AITireModel)
AI Brake_Power Usage="0.98000"  // Fraction of theoretical brake power that AI attempt to use (can be overrode in HDV)
AI Brake_Grip Usage="0.97250"   // Fraction of theoretical brake grip that AI attempt to use (can be overrode in HDV)
AI Corner_Grip Usage="0.97000"  // Fraction of theoretical cornering grip that AI attempt to use (can be overrode in HDV)
AI Max Load="40000.00000"       // Maximum total load to set up theoretical performance tables (can be overrode in HDV)
AI Min Radius="20.00000"        // Minimum radius turn to set up theoretical performance tables (can be overrode in HDV)

AI Limiter="0.10000"            // Range: 0.0 (no limiting) - 1.0 (limiting used to make racing closer but also make more driver differences on flat-out tracks)
AI Mistakes="0.25000"           // a range of (intentional) AI mistakes from 0.0 (none) to 1.0 (sometimes).  Anything above 1.0 multiplies the frequency
AI Realism="0.40000"
Please note that you can't just drop these values into your file. You need to find the various lines and replace those settings with the ones posted here. I also have the agression set at 40% and that seems to be a good value.

So, for what it's worth, these are the settings that I race with against the AI and I think they result in very competitive racing. Of course, your mileage may vary and likely will but there is little harm in trying these values as long as you back up your current .PLR file first.
Vince Klortho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 10, 20:33   #2
pain-less

I must have seen the same post. My PLR was almost identical except for the last three values, Limiter,Mistakes and Realism
pain-less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 10, 20:56   #3
kingsti

Same here. The problem I have with AI is they keep bashing into me when I am on the raceline.
kingsti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 10, 21:04   #4
pain-less

I don't think that can be avoided. That has been an issue for quite sometime.
Old 14 February 10, 23:11   #5
Vince Klortho

Turn the agression down to around 30 or 40 and they'll behave a bit better. They do for me.
Old 14 February 10, 23:11   #6
weischschon

Well, there are some reasons for the mainly poor AI, but as mentioned, it`s absolutely possible to have quite good raced with the AI. @Vince: i don't think that those "magical-variables" you have posted are the solution for a proper working AI. The AI-problem is much more profound. It`s hard to get a start to describe those problems, but i will have a try (please don`t bash me for my english):

There are many variables in some track-files, the car`s-physic files, the plr-file and so on, that have to interact with the ai-files. As a result we would need more Mods with Trackpacks! This is the most important thing in my eyes, but it`s not all, what's needed. Getting the ai working is a task, wich imho most modding-teams don`t want to encounter, because:
  1. the documentation about how to get the AI working is highly unregarded
  2. it`s quite a lot work needed.

Well, luckily there a handsome mods, wich try to get used of the capabilities of the GMotor-AI, with varying success. If you want have a try what is possible with the AI try our VLN 2005 Mod.
> Here < you can find some download links
All 180 included cars have their own realistic laptimes and scriptet pitstops. Because the VLN (german long-distance-championship) has only races at the nordschleife, the trackpack is reduced to 10 versions of the Nordschleife. There are learning files for every car included, wich a hardly needed, because the Nordschleife with it`s unique track-sections is a very hard task for the AI.
Be aware, that the mod's AI will only work with the included Nordschleife-tracks, wich are optimized for the mod`s AI-variables. There is also a batch-file included in the mod, with edits the plr-file to get rF ready for the AI-variables in the talent-files. We've documented all changes to the plr-file in a .doc-file with comes with the mod, for those who are interested in those changes. The steps to get the mod-ai startet are documented in the readme! Sadly, there are no good out-of-the-box AI-variables released with vanilla-rF, in a result of this things get a little bit inconvenient.

Sadly, most of ISI`s documentations about the AI are lost due to the RSC-breakdown. Luckily i had saved some of the explanations at my hard-drive. Maybe someone who is interessted in AI-Modding will have a use for those informations, about how the learning files work:

Quote:
Ok here's the current situation with RCD files:

Aggression 0 - 100 (%)
As this number increases the AI will give other cars less room, both while passing and while following. It also increases the frequency at which they try to pass and the increases the threshold they are willing to endure before giving up a pass (or crashing, as the case may be...)
The aggression slider in the UI also affects this directly. RCD Aggression * UI Aggression = final....and should always be between 0-100%.

Recovery:
All but worthless or no longer used.

Composure:
The lower the number, the higher the frequency of "intentional" mistakes. (if AI Mistakes is > 0 in the playerfile) If AI Mistakes in the playerfile is set to 0.0, then the AI drivers never make mistakes. *cough* Well, mistakes that I planned. "intentional" mistakes are things like, taking a turn too wide, or missing a breaking point.
Increasing composure also decreases the time between bad driving zones. (also affected by the playerfile variable AI Limiter, see MinRacingSkill below)

Speed: 0-100
How close to "optimal" this driver drives a track. This number directly interacts with a variable in the AIW file called "AIRange" AIRange tells us how wide the gap, from 0-100% (expressed as 0.0 to 1.0 in the AIW) The default is 0.1 meaning that the full range of Speed RCD values from 0 to 100, are directly mapped to the top 10% of the max speed = 90-100% For example a driver with 100% speed will drive at (0.9 + 0.1 * 100%) = (0.9 + 0.1 * 1.0) = 100% of what he thinks the track can handle, while a driver with speed = 0 will drive at (0.9 + 0.1 * 0%) = (0.9 + 0.1 * 0) = 90% what he thinks the track can handle. There is a random fluctuation in this value, but it's much less than in previous version where the random fluctuation was so great that it made the original value meaningless.

Crash: 0 - 100 %
CompletedLaps: 0 - 100%
Only used in auto completing laps (skipping practice/qualifying)

MinRacingSkill=0 - 100%
When the AI Limiter variable(from the playerfile) value is > 0.0, the AI drivers go through cycles of optimal driving and sub-optimal driving where their driving skill falls to MinRacingSkill * Speed. (Set the AI Limiter variable to 0.0, and the AIs will always drive to the best of their ability...every lap) So for example if you have a driver with Speed = 50, a AIRange in the AIWfile = 0.2), and MinRacingSkill = 90 This AI guy will usually drive around at (0.8 + 0.2 * 0.5) = 90% speed (really very very slow....but this is just an example), but will sometimes dip as low as (this speed * MinRacingSkill = (0.9* 0.9) = 81% while having a bad lap.....that is extremely low, but this is just an example with easy numbers.

Actually, this is just a part of many informations, that are needed to get a proper start with this kind of modding. But i think these basic-informations explain it very well, why it is so difficult to mod a good working AI, and why we have almost no GMotor mods/games with good working AI.
weischschon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 10, 02:28   #7
Vince Klortho

Quote:
Originally Posted by weischschon View Post
@Vince: i don't think that those "magical-variables" you have posted are the solution for a proper working AI.
They work great for me. As I said, your mileage may vary.
Old 15 February 10, 03:26   #8
vondutch51

Good Stuff Vince. Personaly I feel that with proper tuning the AI in rFactor can be even better than in GTR2. ISI was nice enough to include more variables to allow for finer tuning, so to speak. If you take the time and setup the rcd files correctly along with good player file settings, autocalibrating the AI for each track you plan to run on and maybe a few tweaks here and there in the hdv file etc., the AI are every bit as good if not better than in GTR2. Plus there are so many more options for setting the rules to a race or season than in GTR2, thanks to the multitude of options allowed in the rfm's. The problem is that most people don't want to take the time to set it up. Which is fine but you should'nt complain about it cause the info is out there, anyone can do it, it just takes time.
vondutch51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 10, 17:38   #9
kingsti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince Klortho View Post
They work great for me. As I said, your mileage may vary.
Vince I've been using your settings for a week or so now, and I don't know why but it seems to have transformed my AI!! They are actually behaving Thanks a lot.
kingsti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 10, 18:42   #10
howlinwolf
Uploader

Can anybody tell me why the changes i make to my plr file are reset to the default settings after i have booted up the game, i can make 1 or 2 changes that do not refer back to default but most of the settings do reset, most of the settings i change are listed in the above post.

Thanks in advance.
howlinwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 10, 18:48   #11
davehenrie

The plr file is saved each time you exit a session. In the past, items like changes to the FFB would remain in effect unless you altered them in-game. So this may be the same kind of thing, if you changed some function in the plr and then adjusted it once you were in-game, that could cause the particular setting to be overwritten.
davehenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 10, 21:56   #12
prime05

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsti View Post
Same here. The problem I have with AI is they keep bashing into me when I am on the raceline.
I turned the brake_power and brake_usage down to 0.8000 each and this seems to have stopped this. It makes a really big difference actually.
prime05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 10, 23:08   #13
howlinwolf
Uploader

Quote:
Originally Posted by davehenrie View Post
The plr file is saved each time you exit a session. In the past, items like changes to the FFB would remain in effect unless you altered them in-game. So this may be the same kind of thing, if you changed some function in the plr and then adjusted it once you were in-game, that could cause the particular setting to be overwritten.
I know what you are getting at, but the settings i am changing are purely to do with the AI, like listed in the post above:

AI Power Calibration="7" // Adjustments with AI strength (0=none, or add the following: 1=power, 2=gearing, 4=fuel)
AI Fuel Mult="0.99000" // Additional fuel multiplier for AIs because of their driving style
AI Tire Model="0.40000" // 0.0 = use AI peak slip, 1.0 = use player's dynamic slip, or a blend between the two (can be overrode in TBC with AITireModel)
AI Brake_Power Usage="0.98000" // Fraction of theoretical brake power that AI attempt to use (can be overrode in HDV)
AI Brake_Grip Usage="0.97250" // Fraction of theoretical brake grip that AI attempt to use (can be overrode in HDV)
AI Corner_Grip Usage="0.97000" // Fraction of theoretical cornering grip that AI attempt to use (can be overrode in HDV)
AI Max Load="40000.00000" // Maximum total load to set up theoretical performance tables (can be overrode in HDV)
AI Min Radius="20.00000" // Minimum radius turn to set up theoretical performance tables (can be overrode in HDV)

AI Limiter="0.10000" // Range: 0.0 (no limiting) - 1.0 (limiting used to make racing closer but also make more driver differences on flat-out tracks)
AI Mistakes="0.25000" // a range of (intentional) AI mistakes from 0.0 (none) to 1.0 (sometimes). Anything above 1.0 multiplies the frequency
AI Realism="0.40000"

All of these settings are reset to default values, i make the changes, save the changes and then fire up the game, when i then exit the game and go back into the plr files all of the changes i made have been reset.
Old 25 February 10, 09:40   #14
simfactor

If I remember this correctly, the AI settings in PLR file will be overwritten by AI settings in HDV file (and probably in other file as well?).
simfactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 10, 11:29   #15
howlinwolf
Uploader

I will check that out, tnx bud.
Old 25 February 10, 22:06   #16
pain-less

Quote:
Originally Posted by simfactor View Post
If I remember this correctly, the AI settings in PLR file will be overwritten by AI settings in HDV file (and probably in other file as well?).
Well if that's the case, most mods are running the same numbers. Like I said earlier in this thread, my numbers almost matched Vince's exactly.
Old 25 February 10, 23:46   #17
mcfritt

The first 8 seem to be rF default values. At least I have never touched them and they match my PLR settings. The last 3 are almost the same I arrived at after extensive testing (with CTDP06). A low AI limiter helps to avoid AI bunching up too much and still allows for some laptime variation during the race. AI mistakes can also be nice to have, because it's more real to see some AI ending up in a gravel trap etc. And AI aggression around 30% helps to avoid AI kissing your ass too often (if you have a challenging AI strength setting) but still leaves some room for AI-AI overtaking maneuvers.

And yes, there are several ways to override parameters in other files (e.g. gdb>rfm). From the feature list on rfactor.net: "Added HDV overrides for the player file variables that affect how the AI estimate their vehicles' performance. See the Form06.hdv file for more info."
mcfritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 10, 00:51   #18
simfactor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pain-less View Post
Well if that's the case, most mods are running the same numbers. Like I said earlier in this thread, my numbers almost matched Vince's exactly.
What I meant was 'override' actually, not 'overwritten'. Sorry for the confusion.

Unlike F1C, rFactor's approach is better: put the important AI settings in important and mod-related files such as HDV, TBC, GDB, etc. The PLR file is not really part of any mod isn't it? AI settings are there just in case the mod doesn't set anything in other files. PLR file is the least important file in modding scenario. AI settings in HDV, AIW, and/or other files will override the settings in PLR file.
simfactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 10, 01:59   #19
pain-less

Ahhh...ok.
Old 12 April 10, 04:12   #20
mclarenf1

Quote:

Code:
AI Limiter="0.10000"            // Range: 0.0 (no limiting) - 1.0 (limiting used to make racing closer but also make more driver differences on flat-out tracks)
AI Mistakes="0.25000"           // a range of (intentional) AI mistakes from 0.0 (none) to 1.0 (sometimes).  Anything above 1.0 multiplies the frequency
AI Realism="0.40000"
Please note that you can't just drop these values into your file. You need to find the various lines and replace those settings with the ones posted here. I also have the agression set at 40% and that seems to be a good value.
Thankyou Vince! These settings make offline racing actually possible now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prime05 View Post
I turned the brake_power and brake_usage down to 0.8000 each and this seems to have stopped this. It makes a really big difference actually.
Thanks also Prime, in combo with Vince's suggestions I was able to have a normal race with the AI. I ran 15laps in Enduracers (GT1 & GT2) @ Albert Park and didn't get hit from behind or the side once. The only thing I noticed was if an AI was in your draft on a straight and made a pass, it would sometimes back out of it even if you gave alot of room before the corner. Still alot more fun than constant taps from behind!

I used for reference:
Damage - 100%
AI Difficulty - 106%
AI Aggression - 35% (will try a higher number next time)

Thanks again
mclarenf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 10, 21:11   #21
taker

Quote:
AI Brake_Power Usage="0.98000"
I recommend to everyone in here to turn his value down to "0.95500"
The AI should then stop to run into the back of your car, when you brake in front of them.
They wont get much slower, so dont worry.
taker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 10, 21:16   #22
KittX
Baddie

there is a lot of very useful info here.
I've made that thread sticky, and i really hope the work of improving the AI will be continued.
KittX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 10, 06:16   #23
6e66o

The PLR tweaks are nice,
but you still need a track with a good aiw, and a mod with proper collision feelers (hdv).
I recommend the VLN05 Mod for reference,
where cars actually leave space for you.
IMO one of the best mods to drive offline.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHoQmPIO80A
6e66o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 10, 06:31   #24
stabiz

Agreed, VLN05 has good AI.
stabiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 10, 21:54   #25
weedtokaz

i found this a few years back on RSC find it in the hdv file it helped me out a bit

AIPerfUsage=(0.90, 0.90, 0.88) edit these values to make the AI brake later
into corners and corner faster.
weedtokaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 10, 01:52   #26
Lunsmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by weedtokaz View Post
i found this a few years back on RSC find it in the hdv file it helped me out a bit

AIPerfUsage=(0.90, 0.90, 0.88) edit these values to make the AI brake later
into corners and corner faster.

disclaimer needed. OFFLINE use only. going online with a mod that has had the hdv edited WILL cause a mismatch, kick & accusation of cheating. Be careful with editing physics file for these reasons. Otherwise, good suggestion.
Lunsmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 10, 10:40   #27
weedtokaz

Yea good point Lunsmann I use multiple installs for different leagues and one Ive edited for offline use.........
weedtokaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 10, 20:44   #28
GeraArg

Nice tips
GeraArg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 10, 05:05   #29
ostiusa

Does anyone know how to remove the speed difference of AI in qualifying and during a race? I'm only referring to mods were setup and fuel loads don't make a lot of difference to performace. Mods like Vintage Vee.
I go to a track in practice and set the AI strength so that my times are around the same as the AI. When I begin a race the qualifying times are pretty even (I try and aim to be in the top 8 or so), but when the race proper starts the AI lap times drop and I end up having too easy a race. I could set the AI strength higher but then I get trounced in quali. It doesn't make sense to me that there should be much of a difference between qualifying and race lap times for these types of mods.
ostiusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 10, 05:51   #30
andreic1983

Found this here: http://www.racedepartment.com/rfacto...djustment.html

For anyone having issues with the inconsistencies in rFactor's AI speed, the AI programmer from ISI posted a good idea on another site:

He suggests changing the AI Limiter value in your user PLR file to '0.00000'.

This should keep the AI from slowing down during the race, compared to the AI's Practice and Quali pace.

(The relevent PLR file can be found in 'rFactor\UserData\%username%\%username%.plr)

Anyway if you race alot offline(my case) I recommend you autocalibrate you AI it takes 10min for a mod and for a track and then you can have the fun of your live ...at least I know I am http://www.simracingworld.com/content/326/

Last edited by andreic1983; 9 June 10 at 05:21.
andreic1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 10, 23:50   #31
ostiusa

Excellent. Thanks.
ostiusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 10, 07:44   #32
Uly

I have noticed that mods that have cars that go over 300 kph ie F1 mods, Indycar Mods, Cart Mods and Lemans Prototype mods can only reach 298-300kph and a bit faster in the slipstream.

Watching the ai in modern F1 mods at Monza they should be able to hit 340 to 350 kph. Indy car and Cart mods at monza should be able to do more than 300KPH at monza and other fast road racing circuits.. Indy car and Cart mods on high speed ovals like texas and indy should be able to do more than 300KPH. LMP 1 cars at Lemans should be doing 330 to 360kph...but they can't? They are stuck at 298-300kph?

Is there a way to fix that?

Racing the ai when your doing 350kph and the ai at stuck at 300kph is no fun at all

Uly
Uly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 10, 21:28   #33
ucfquattroguy

You'll probably have to create AI setup specific to those high-speed circuits. I'm pretty sure the AI will only drive around on whatever's the default setup for that vehicle. Could be wrong though.
ucfquattroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 10, 11:49   #34
lukeanthony

How would you create a setup for the AI?

Could come in handy
lukeanthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 10, 22:42   #35
AndreasT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uly View Post
Watching the ai in modern F1 mods at Monza they should be able to hit 340 to 350 kph. Indy car and Cart mods at monza should be able to do more than 300KPH at monza and other fast road racing circuits..
Well, that's not impossible. In CTDP 2006 it was realized for the 2006 race tracks. You will find that AI at Monza do 340+ kph depending on the team. Same goes for e.g. Montreal where they hit more than 310 kph at the end of the long straight before the final chicane. I don't know which of the other mods have this feature.
AndreasT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 10, 09:59   #36
Uly

Making an AI setup worked to get the speeds at Monza Up to 340-350KPH.

I used the instructions in this post to Make the AI setup: http://fatbob56.com/forum/mcomod/viewtopic.php?t=145

I had a great race at Monza in the F1 2009 Mod Started 2nd then Kubica sent me off in to the Gravel trap. I recovered from last to finish 13th lol Heaps of fun and one of the Best AI races I have ever had!!! Off to Race at Indy in an Indycar Mod...now at very High Speeds!!

Cheers

Uly
Uly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 10, 07:24   #37
marianf1

Quote:
I have seen a lot of people post things saying that RF's AI is really bad and I have not found that to be true. As far as I am concerned it is as good as any of the Simbin games and that may not be saying much but those are its primary competitors so it is of significance. Going forward, I would love to see the AI observe blue flag rules but that is probably just a fantasy but I think it would really enhance the realism of multi-class racing.

Anyway, the key thing to making RF's AI behave appropriately is getting the parameters set to reasonable values. I have run across a few settings that can really improve the behavior of the AI. I am not sure where I saw these first but I think they came from a post about an MMG F1 mod at RSC. These settings go into your PLR file in the UserData/"your name" directory so make sure that you back it up before you change it so that you can un-do the changes that you make in case you don't like them.

Code:
AI Power Calibration="7"        // Adjustments with AI strength (0=none, or add the following: 1=power, 2=gearing, 4=fuel)
AI Fuel Mult="0.99000"          // Additional fuel multiplier for AIs because of their driving style
AI Tire Model="0.40000"         // 0.0 = use AI peak slip, 1.0 = use player's dynamic slip, or a blend between the two (can be overrode in TBC with AITireModel)
AI Brake_Power Usage="0.98000"  // Fraction of theoretical brake power that AI attempt to use (can be overrode in HDV)
AI Brake_Grip Usage="0.97250"   // Fraction of theoretical brake grip that AI attempt to use (can be overrode in HDV)
AI Corner_Grip Usage="0.97000"  // Fraction of theoretical cornering grip that AI attempt to use (can be overrode in HDV)
AI Max Load="40000.00000"       // Maximum total load to set up theoretical performance tables (can be overrode in HDV)
AI Min Radius="20.00000"        // Minimum radius turn to set up theoretical performance tables (can be overrode in HDV)

AI Realism="0.40000"

So, for what it's worth, these are the settings that I race with against the AI and I think they result in very competitive racing. Of course, your mileage may vary and likely will but there is little harm in trying these values as long as you back up your current .PLR file first.

sorry, but your tweaking is absolutely not useful AI Limiter=0.1 it's good your value, but almost all your values are default. AI in rfactor is really far from perfect and no way to make them perfect. It's true. I work long time and find that rFactor AI really badly see player's car. Many problems with AI I have on the start race because AI are very bunched and too aggressive in the first corners after start. AI brake not humanlikely and push to player's car. It's a big problem. But there is way to fix AI brake. Look at:

AI Brake_Power Usage="1.5"
AI Brake_Grip Usage="0.5"

so I increase brake power and decreasing brake grip (for different mods these values are different but for high-speed modern cars it's good I think) and then AI brake humanlike.
marianf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 10, 00:57   #38
Vince Klortho

Quote:
Originally Posted by marianf1 View Post
sorry, but your tweaking is absolutely not useful AI Limiter=0.1 it's good your value, but almost all your values are default. AI in rfactor is really far from perfect and no way to make them perfect. ...
I find your comments absolutely not useful and, for that matter, just plain wrong. I have now seen several threads at different sites about this topic using numbers very similar to these and most people have very good results - much improved over the standard game. By definition that means this thread (and its associated tweaking) was useful.

I have also noted that no one including me has ever claimed that the AI can be made perfect and I am not sure that it will ever be possible with a desktop computer. That's not the point though. The point is that using these numbers has improved racing with the AI for most people who have tried them and I have seen this at several sites. As I said in the first post, your mileage may vary and apparently yours does. Oh well.
Old 13 August 10, 07:20   #39
marianf1

Quote:
I find your comments absolutely not useful and, for that matter, just plain wrong. I have now seen several threads at different sites about this topic using numbers very similar to these and most people have very good results - much improved over the standard game. By definition that means this thread (and its associated tweaking) was useful.

I have also noted that no one including me has ever claimed that the AI can be made perfect and I am not sure that it will ever be possible with a desktop computer. That's not the point though. The point is that using these numbers has improved racing with the AI for most people who have tried them and I have seen this at several sites. As I said in the first post, your mileage may vary and apparently yours does. Oh well.
look at default plr rfactor file and say me please how can your numbers improved racing with AI if your numbers are absolutely identical to default numbers in plr file??
there is only one good number in your tweaking. It's AI limiter=0.1 But other your numbers are same as standart
marianf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 10, 21:34   #40
Vince Klortho

That is not true. "AI Limiter" is not the only parameter that was changed. I just created a new player for myself to verify this.

Also - I think you missed the point. The point is I have good races with the AI and all types of cars that I race with - older F1, prototypes, GTs, and touring cars, and these numbers are the ones that I use. I DO NOT care if the numbers are the same as standard. If I am going to share the numbers then I need to list all of them that are relevant to the AI. If someone changes one of those "standard" numbers they could get different results from mine. I listed all of the numbers so that people can attempt to reproduce the results I get as closely as possible.

I also said that your mileage may vary. If those values didn't work out for you then you are in the minority of people of those who have commented because most people have had good results trying this. I know that I have very good results with these values and as far as I am concerned the AI in rfactor is as good as any other racing games that I have played. Once again, your mileage may vary.
Old 19 August 10, 07:35   #41
lukeanthony

To back Vince up, i found your figures very helpful, in TCL at least.
lukeanthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 10, 17:50   #42
kendo1978

For me the adjusting the Best/Worst/Mid values in each tracks AIW are big help if I'm finding the AI sluggish on particular tracks, even after doing the track learning.

Again, be wary of changing values and backup the AIW file if you race online.
kendo1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 10, 18:09   #43
Abujamra

That's the why sometimes I'm lazy about racing with RFactor offline.

There's so much Notepad work. I'd be glad with a comprehensive Interface Mod to edit all variables in real time and the end of duplicated variables in different files sometimes overriding, sometimes not.

Too confused and badly documented.
Abujamra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 10, 02:58   #44
aosudif1

I'm finding the main issue with AI is the knowledge you're side by side with them. They just turn in like there's nothing in the middle. Is there anyway to enhance AI's awareness in that particular way?
aosudif1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 10, 21:27   #45
John DiFool

Yeah, I wish. Biggest pain-in-the-posterior when racing them.
John DiFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 10, 15:34   #46
warp9engage

Hello. I'm new around these forums even though I have been using the downloads section to get some of the great mods this site has . So therefore I apologise if I'm posting this on the wrong thread but I have a question.

I play rFactor a lot offline and I've been looking for ways to improve the AI. As everyone knows, rFactor struggles in that area and I've been looking for the best setups for the computer drivers. I've found some that please me but I was wondering one thing.

It is possible in a race to give control of your car to an AI driver, when you need a break or just feel like relaxing and watching a virtual race, and that driver will race for you. I find that this driver, like the default AI, is too much of a robot (did a test with him driving up to 25 laps on several tracks and he never flinched). Is that driver always perfect? If he is, how can I change that to make him have the same chance of making mistakes as the other AIs that follow the values in the PLR file? Thank you in advance .
warp9engage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 10, 07:05   #47
apexmoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6e66o View Post
The PLR tweaks are nice,
but you still need a track with a good aiw, and a mod with proper collision feelers (hdv).
I recommend the VLN05 Mod for reference,
where cars actually leave space for you.
IMO one of the best mods to drive offline.
That's pretty interesting. I've read that some mod makers believe that correcting the 'bug' in the Collision Feelers values improves the AI's behavior, in terms of them just running into your car like it's not even there. Is that what you're referring to 6e66o? Could this key off of another value I wonder, since as I understand it the Collision Feelers are hit detection parameters. Maybe the AI has some parameter (or set of) that controls its 'situational awareness' in regards to when it's about to crash into something?

I realize this thread is a bit dated, but I've been doing some research lately on improving the AI and I'm trying to learn all I can. So if there are any informed individuals out there who are willing to share some insight on this I'd really appreciate it.
apexmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 10, 15:12   #48
Strava
Uploader

What is this 'bug' in the Collision Feelers??

@warp9 - When you have an AI take over your car I think it uses a set of talent values that are hard coded in the rfactor exe file. And they do seem to be very good values!
Strava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 10, 17:00   #49
Emery

Strava - as I recall the feelers in the HDV file of the default ISI car set have an incorrect sign (negative value when it should be positive) or the value is an order of magnitude too small. Many early modders copied those values and perpetuated the mistake. 6e66o's suggestion to compare with the VLN05 mod is a good one.
Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 10, 20:08   #50
kendo1978

interesting, having a look around some of the HDVs for different cars in the VLN mod they have NO lines for feeler settings unlike the default ISI mods such as the RF3 below,

FeelerOffset=(0.0, 0.0, 0.0) // offset from cg to use when generating feelers
FeelersAtCGHeight=1 // whether corner and side feelers are automatically adjusted to CG height
FeelerFrontLeft=( 0.850,0.384,-2.040) // front-left corner collision feeler
FeelerFrontRight=(-0.850,0.384,-2.040) // front-right corner collision feeler
FeelerRearLeft=( 0.850,0.384,1.510) // rear-left corner collision feeler
FeelerRearRight=(-0.850,0.384,1.510) // rear-right corner collision feeler
FeelerFront=(0.0,0.384,-2.040) // front side collision feeler
FeelerRear=( 0.0,0.384,1.510) // rear side collision feeler
FeelerRight=(-0.850,0.384,-0.247) // right side collision feeler
FeelerLeft=( 0.850,0.384,-0.247) // left side collision feeler
FeelerTopFrontLeft=(-0.1,0.900,0.160) // top front-left collision feeler
FeelerTopFrontRight=(0.1,0.900,0.160) // top front-right collision feeler
FeelerTopRearLeft=(-0.500,0.850,1.600) // top rear-left collision feeler
FeelerTopRearRight=(0.500,0.850,1.600) // top rear-right collision feeler