NoGripRacing.com

Go Back   NoGripRacing Forums > PC Racing > rFactor > rFactor Cars/Skins

Unread 27 March 10, 03:35   #1
Bristow

Default rFactor Physics Threads

Some of you may recall that I was maintaining some threads about rF physics files on the RSC forum as-it-was. There appears to be considerable doubt about whether any of the content of those forums will be seen again any time soon. I have enough history saved that I could recreate the main posts (but not the discussions around them). I have two questions:

1: Should I remake the threads?

2: Where should I put them? My preference is to input to one place as I do not want to maintain multiple sites.
Bristow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 March 10, 03:50   #2
davehenrie

Yes, please do bring them back. And one site might be preferred. Perhaps a downloadable hardcopy so we can print them might also be of use.
dh
davehenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 March 10, 09:44   #3
David Wright

I agree - an invaluable resource - they need to be brought back.

Where? IMO they are just as useful for Simbin titles as they are for rF and NoGrip is arguably the centre of the Simbin modding world. It's not the centre of the rF modding world though, and now RSC has gone I'm not sure where the centre of the rF modding world is. So I vote for NoGrip, though purely for selfish reasons
David Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 March 10, 11:35   #4
S.Moss

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Wright View Post
I agree - an invaluable resource - they need to be brought back.
Definatly as they are valuble across all gM2 platforms

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Wright View Post
I'm not sure where the centre of the rF modding world is.
Well i guess we have VirtualR for the releases but i don't think anywhere has actually become a home for modders yet.. At least not like GTR2/Evo.
S.Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 March 10, 11:45   #5
Pero_Grozni
TT/3

Please do post them again here -I found them extremly valuable.
Tnx for making the threads in the first place - it is very questionable how quality physics would be around without those threads.
Maybe an admin could make a special section or simmilar.
Pero_Grozni is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 March 10, 12:45   #6
Strava
Uploader

Yes, please post them somewhere!
I would vote for here

I have the PM & TBC threads saved ( as html-complete ) If that would help.
Tho it's probly just the first 20 posts.
Strava is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 March 10, 13:10   #7
Nyamless

Yes, please post them again!
Your threads on RSC is absolutely important for modders!!

I uploaded your threads as rar file on the following NoGrip thread.
Bible - Modding Tutorial and FAQ
Use them if needed
Nyamless is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 March 10, 15:50   #8
jgmonty

It would be good to see a central tutorial download section here at NoGrip, seeing that RSC has lost their old database.

I for one have a number of tutorials, and some threads I saved in pdf from the old RSC and other sources, as I'm sure many others have done. In order to not duplicate postings and in an effort to consolidate this data, a central repository (library) IMO would be the best way, none the least, that a lot of the tutorials would be cross-platform and centralising would make finding help easier.

Given, that I was today "banned for life" from RSC/SRW (my fault, though no loss, as I was attempting to remove my profile at the time), I will not be posting there, besides NoGrip rocks, and a central tutorial section would be a great addition...
jgmonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 March 10, 05:41   #9
VVV Redhawk

Please post them here - absolutely invaluable resource, especially for someone like myself, who never got to see any original threads at RSC - I came into SimRacing just as RSC was starting to get into trouble.

NG is the only place for any rF modding knowledge now - even though it is still thin on the ground.
VVV Redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 March 10, 11:28   #10
Roger
TT/3

Absolutely please post them, we can move them later if needs be.

Looking at the forum structure there is a general 'modding' section (I assume everyone can see this?).

Under specific Sims (like GTL) there is a Cars/Skins section for each.

Would you guys be happy enough if I create an rFactor Cars/Skins section?
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 March 10, 05:19   #11
modbaraban

1. Yes yes yes, please.

2. Anywhere you like (where we can find them). Here at nogrip would be fine.

PS: I thought it was all lost
modbaraban is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 April 10, 10:43   #12
WildWolf

Well Bristow, I guess I'm not the only one.... > (That's an ear to ear smile!, btw)
It just seems to be a question of where, where, where...
Here at NoGrip is good, I still can't get in the "new" RSC with my old UN & PW which I had wrote down... and there is not a single link to contact anyone there. Makes me want to forget them... but back to where..
I'd bet the Admin here would make a sticky just for your awesome work, I for one Vote YES for them to do it! As this thread grows I bet there are many more who will agree.
How About it, Admin? Will you make a Sticky for the awesome Physics work of Bristow???
WildWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 April 10, 21:18   #13
Bristow

Re: "I still can't get in the "new" RSC with my old UN & PW which I had wrote down.."

Neither could I. I had to attempt a new registration, which told me the username was already taken and also provided an opportunity to request the PW be reset. That did it. As part of the process, you will need to use the email account under which the original registration was made.
Bristow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 April 10, 00:28   #14
WildWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bristow View Post
Re: "I still can't get in the "new" RSC with my old UN & PW which I had wrote down.."

Neither could I. I had to attempt a new registration, which told me the username was already taken and also provided an opportunity to request the PW be reset. That did it. As part of the process, you will need to use the email account under which the original registration was made.
I tried several times myself to reset the PW, but never got an email to reset it, Tried a new registration and that didn't work either... I guess I'll have to go back and try again, some day.
While I have your attention, do you know how I can rename an rFactor mod's Vehicle Folder (w/2 sub/skin/team folders, which shouldn't matter since I've changed them already), a Sounds Folder, and 1 .rfm along with 2 .tga's in the RFM Folder, and have it (the mod & game) work afterwords? I've got all of the "in-game" stuff done but really need to do the Vehicles/Sounds/rfm stuff to prevent future over writes for a radically changed mod I'm attempting. If the answer involves a lot of renaming, do you know of an easy/quick way to do that also? (Win XP Home system...).
Thanks M8,
WildWolf
Now. a while later and I finally got back into RSC (as WildWolf)! this should deserve some kind of yell like YE HA! after all I had to do to get in, crap...

Last edited by WildWolf; 4 April 10 at 01:49.
Unread 4 April 10, 07:51   #15
mcfritt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgmonty View Post
It would be good to see a central tutorial download section here at NoGrip, seeing that RSC has lost their old database.
I would highly appreciate if such stuff would find a new home here. Although IIRC I've read that "new RSC" tries to restore the data, it won't be the same RSC as it was before. Seems like SRW is "buying itself" into the sim/modding community, but that's another topic. And I'm quite sure that many modders would neither read nor answer question on "new RSC" anymore so you can only get 2nd hand information. Strange to see however that people have trouble logging in (don't know if my account would still work) because the same way SRW simply took rfc account data they did the same for "their RSC". That's why they claim 80.000 users.
mcfritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 April 10, 21:29   #16
Roger
TT/3

New forum section for you guys here

http://www.nogripracing.com/forum/fo...play.php?f=138
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 April 10, 00:45   #17
WildWolf

If you Physic/Modding "guru's" like the Idea of a single large area just for Physics and Modding stuff, What do you think of trying to set up the Threads something like a BOOK? Using "Chapters", covering one area to start with, and have sub-threads such as this semi-fictional example:
Cars/Bodies/ with sub threads such as:
Software To Use/
WireFrame/
Polys/
Welding/
Etc...
As you can see, I don't know much about modding, but I did inherit from my Mom the ability to organize things. I do hope you get the general idea here and don't take my input the wrong way, PLEASE! I really do want to see you guys post your Valuable Information and in the end it will be more useful and easier to find things if it is well organized, and the "Layout/Format" is preplanned to some degree.
BTW, I may be wrong, but I feel that Skinning should have it's very own "Chapter" and not be included under Cars/Bodies.
I am so interested in you guys doing this that I am beginning to put posts and links at other sites I visit regularly in hopes that other "Great" Physics and Modding guys like you will join in here and add to the "Knowledge Base".
Thank You Guys, for considering this and letting me put my 2 cents worth in... WildWolf.

Last edited by WildWolf; 5 April 10 at 00:52.
Unread 11 April 10, 11:38   #18
WBradshaw

I'm the same guy who has posted Bristow's original threads over at RSC. If I can be of any help, I'd be more than happy to. The more places that have this information, the better IMO.
WBradshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 April 10, 00:32   #19
WildWolf

W Bradshaw, Fantastic, and I'm with you, the more the better. BTW, Much to my surprise, after reconnecting my 1TB external HD (for the 1st time in months), I found that I had saved complete, 1st pages (only) of Bristows: TBC, HDV, PM, & Engine.ini Threads. These were saved not long before the "Old RSC" went down (late last summer, I think), and include all posts to the bottom of each page. I don't know if these copies (saved as Complete Web Pages) are more complete than what you have or not. If you have interest in them or what ever let me know. Hopefully, in the near future I can look at what you've posted and see if "my copies" have any newer updates/edits that Bristow did. WildWolf.

Edit: Here is a sample (formatting may be off some from my copy & paste job) of ("my copy" of) the HDV Thread (from the very top/1st post) and it is different than what you've posted, I just don't know who's stuff is the "newest":

The rFactor HDV file and it's role in defining the car

The rF hdv File

This thread is to record the contribution that the hdv file makes to the definition of the cars in rFactor and to their behaviour.

In this thread are a number of postings at the top that contains the parts of an hdv file from the original game - I have chosen the Sauber BMW released with version 1.150. Each line in the file is accompanied by the comments in the original. Lines are annotated with additional comments in bold about the purpose and role of the parameter, as the information becomes available. Due to the limits of my information, the data is incomplete and also probably wrong in places.

This thread is based on and updated from a similar thread I wrote for F1C. They may get a little out of synch from time to time. If there are contradictions, this thread will be more current.

Edit #2: Not far from where I copied the above info I saw this which may tell what I have:

Edit 5 March 2007 - this thread has been damaged by the backup problems experienced by RSC. Some posts and some attachments are missing - it is hard to determine how many or whether the damage has ceased. At the time of writing, the number of posts reported to be in the thread is not stable.

In particular for me, post #6, the last of my main posts, has gone. I have found a cached, i.e. older, version of the post and added that at post #160 (as of today!). Hopefully RSC can restore a proper and current copy.
WildWolf.

Last edited by WildWolf; 12 April 10 at 01:03. Reason: Additional Info
Unread 12 April 10, 11:44   #20
WBradshaw

Yeah, the copy I have is probably not the exact original either since #6 in mine is by DomBinz, but Bristow in #7 references changes to his #6 post.

I would love to get a copy of your Engine ini page. It's the only thing I'm missing. Is there a chance you could zip up the offline version and email it to me at: dougfromtos AT yahoo DOT com ?
Unread 12 April 10, 15:33   #21
WildWolf

W Bradshaw, If you'd like, I can zip all of it and send it, or send a page at a time. But for now, as you requested, I'll send the Engine.ini page. Which just went your way...
Unread 13 April 10, 11:26   #22
WBradshaw

Many many thanks for emailing it, WildWolf!
Unread 14 April 10, 02:08   #23
WildWolf

Your welcome M8!
Unread 25 April 10, 11:16   #24
Chronus

Location: Local Group, Milky Way, Solar System, Pale Blue Dot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bristow View Post
Some of you may recall that I was maintaining some threads about rF physics files on the RSC forum as-it-was. There appears to be considerable doubt about whether any of the content of those forums will be seen again any time soon. I have enough history saved that I could recreate the main posts (but not the discussions around them). I have two questions:

1: Should I remake the threads?

2: Where should I put them? My preference is to input to one place as I do not want to maintain multiple sites.

Bristow,

first of all, thank you for all your work over the years. That's TRUE dedication to the cause!

Now, I found your post #6 nowhere (the one beginning with the FRONTLEFT section). It's not in the archive provided by the link here:

http://www.nogripracing.com/forum/sh...6&postcount=26

Can you provide what's missing? I'll be super-eternally grateful!

Again, thanks for the detailed work.

EDIT:

when I was about to bump this to get an answer from mr. Bristow, I stumbled upon page number 07 of his informative guide to HDV, provided by the hero who provided the link to the archive I mentioned above. And...right there, page 07, as Bristow put it in 2008:
"A copy of the missing post #6 from 5 February 2008. This version was amended on 12 March 2008 so my missing my updates which correct comments about the pushrod location are added back to the extent that I can recall what I said"

Anyhow, my thanks to Bristow.

Chronus

Last edited by Chronus; 28 April 10 at 15:34.
Chronus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 May 10, 23:24   #25
mallyauto86

Hello , right i'm noob to physics and basicly what i want to do is copy a car over from another mod into another mod but use physics off a different car.

How can i go around doing it ? i've tried copying the HDV and Tire files and it doesnt seem to work ..... any input would be greatfull
mallyauto86 is offline   Reply With Quote