NoGripRacing.com

Go Back   NoGripRacing Forums > PC Racing > Slightly Mad Studios > SHIFT 2 Unleashed

Old 29 March 11, 11:15   #1
redi
Superator

Location: On a thin crust covering a huge ball of hot molten stone whizzing through space
Default The Shift 2 Controller Set-Up Thread

Share your tips and settings for optimum FFB, good response and no swaying cars for wheels, gamepads, keyboards etc.

It seems that Damper and Spring effects need to be enabled in the driver, otherwise you'll get loose FFB around the center and swaying cars.

In-game parameter guide:
Steering/Throttle/Brake/Clutch Sensitivity: the speed of the response to controller input. Supposedly, 50% is a linear (1:1) response. Higher values mean a faster response to input, lower values mean slower response.

Speed Sensitivity: This lowers the sensitivity (?) to wheel input when driving fast, to prevent losing control of the car. This is mostly for non-steering wheel users.

Steering lock: The wheel angle (expressed in degrees for some people, in % for others) for which the wheels of the car reach full lock. This would then be a sort of gearing ratio between the steering wheel and the wheels. This could particularly be useful for drifting where you need to be able to quickly move the wheels to full lock and back.

A posting that summarizes things nicely: http://www.nogripracing.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=247441

Logitech FFB Fix
In Logitech profiler:
- combined unchecked.
- Force feedback enabled
- overall, spring and damper at 100%
- centering spring unchecked
- allow game to adjust settings checked

Then try a quick race and do 2 or 3 corners, then press ESQ and then resume.

More elaborate fix using Jul's mod.

Last edited by redi; 5 April 11 at 12:15.
redi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 11, 11:58   #2
Sphinx666

How the hell do you set the H patern gearbox for the g25? I can't find any options for it, and if I try using it as it is the 1st gear is reverse, second is 1st, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th and reverse are correct.
Also didn't they say it will feature 900 deegre steering. The driver in the game turns the wheel only slightly and if I set my g25on 900 deegres the amount of deegrees I need to turn the wheel for well known corners by me is to high and hence not realistic.
Another problem is the force feedback, sometimes is ok and then sudently feels to soft.
Sphinx666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 11, 12:21   #3
lukasz94

any good set-up for xbox 360 for windows?
lukasz94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 11, 12:56   #4
Beaverz

When I tested it last night I use this setup for my Saitek Cyborg Rumble v2 (basically it's Xbox360 controller without deadzone)

If you want to use with Microsoft Xbox360 controller then increase deadzone to 14 or so.
These settings are very responsive for gamepad, but a bit similar to the feel when I use gamepad to play GTR Evo (when I don't want to annoy my roommate with FFB noise).
Beaverz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 11, 13:53   #5
lukasz94

thx for the set-up maybe u know how to disable vibrations?
Old 29 March 11, 14:04   #6
NVIDIAGeek

Anyone found out some good settings for Momo wheel?
NVIDIAGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 11, 15:31   #7
javimompia

How can i reduce de friction of the wheel? i dont like that sensation. All the sims doent have friction
javimompia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 11, 15:46   #8
Sphinx666

I take the H pattern gear problem back. It was some kind of error, I restarted the game and everything is fine.

Javimompia by lowering the force feedback ofcourse, either in the profiler or game, your choice.
Old 29 March 11, 15:59   #9
Beaverz

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukasz94 View Post
thx for the set-up maybe u know how to disable vibrations?
Turn force feedback down to 0%.
Old 29 March 11, 16:18   #10
lukasz94

fu... I did not see this option:/
thx
Old 29 March 11, 17:30   #11
Sphinx666

Deleted. I am still testing will be back with a perfect one

Last edited by Sphinx666; 29 March 11 at 18:36.
Old 29 March 11, 20:07   #12
YB0b

should i use profiler or shift2u.exe for startup?
YB0b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 11, 21:56   #13
edubz123

never mattered for me in Shift 1. Try both.

As mentioned in the other thread, if possible, make sure to disable/uncheck "Allow Game to Adjust FFB Settings". SHIFT will (probably) mess up your FFB settings otherwise.
edubz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 11, 00:05   #14
vansant

does anyone know where the wheel settings are for the xbox?
vansant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 11, 06:41   #15
kbanford

I can't find a way to get my sst lighting shifter to work. I have a g25 setup but that shifter broke. Any ideas?
kbanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 11, 07:09   #16
pwrslv

My settings for g25 and 900deg

Ingame (will put the screenshot when I come back from work):

FFB strength set to 50%
Steering Deadzone 0%
Steering Sensitivity 50%
Throttle Deadzone 0%
Throttle Sensitivity 50%
Brake Deadzone 0%
Brake Sensitivity 50%
Clutch Deadzone 10%
Clutch Sensitivity 50%
Speed Sensitivity 0%
Speed Sensitivity (Drift) 0%

And this is how it looks now in Profiler:

Make sure to untick the "Allow Game to Adjust FFB Settings"

ATL+TAB mess up FFB for me from time to time, so don't do that in game
pwrslv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 11, 07:26   #17
kusari

Anyone know how to fix the problem with the pedals dead zone with DFGT ? I tried the solution by matt2380 from SHIFT 1, but it doesn't work.

Quote:
Logitech DFGT and DFPro separated pedal profiles seem to have an error/bug. I recommend you change the "Centre" values for InputIndex="1" (Accelerate) and InputIndex="5" (Brake) in the <InputsList> section from 0.0 to 1.0 so that they match all the other profiles (eg, g25, g27, momo, thrustmaster, porsche) and allow you to use the full range of the pedal movement. When set to the default of 0.0 the pedals have a large deadzone even if you set deadzone to 0. However, once edited to 1.0 the pedals become responsive from the start of the pedal movement and therefore allow for much finer control.

Last edited by kusari; 30 March 11 at 08:37.
kusari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 11, 07:30   #18
juls

Found something interesting: this game uses not only force, but friction and damper in FFB. So before even tweaking the controler, you have to enable friction and damper in your controler driver (logitech profiler).

Really, try it, it is entirely different...because the force only kicks in when you turn the wheel, and what you feel in the center is mostly friction/damper.
As a result, with friction/damper disabled, wheel has no resistance in the center, and it is one of the main causes of floaty steering.

This would explain why some G25/G27 users have a firm FFB while others have it floaty.

In logitech profiler:
combined unchecked.
Force feedback enabled
overall, spring and damper at 100%
centering spring unchecked
allow game to adjust settings checked
juls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 11, 07:52   #19
pwrslv

@juls
Tried that already mate, but everything with allow game to adjust settings checked is a big problem for me.
Old 30 March 11, 07:54   #20
matt2380

I'm with Juls, the long-standing unspoken rule of disabling friction and damper needs to be challenged.
matt2380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 11, 08:00   #21
redi
Superator

Location: On a thin crust covering a huge ball of hot molten stone whizzing through space

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt2380 View Post
I'm with Juls, the long-standing unspoken rule of disabling friction and damper needs to be challenged.
Not challenged, it may be that S2U is the exception to the rule, since any other game I played will have poor FFB with 100% damper and center spring...
Old 30 March 11, 08:24   #22
juls

Not center spring, but damper and friction.

These effect are like the force. They are triggered by the sim, not by the driver.
These sliders like the overall effect strength slider simply apply a multiplier to effects commands received by the wheel from the sim. It is in the direct input documentation, you have multiple effects at your disposal...force, friction, damper and you have to code it, it won't kick in alone because of the driver setting. Moreover I have traced function calls from various sims and there is no doubt the sims like GTR2, rFactor add multiple layers of effects...force, friction, damper while others like LFS/Shift1/RBR only use force. They call the functions, not the driver.

Of course noone has to like how friction/damper feels, but these are effects intended by the developers. It may be interesting to know that you only feel the FFB as it was coded when you enable these effects. At least it is worth a try
Old 30 March 11, 08:32   #23
pwrslv

For me using damper on 100% in this game is like a fetish, I really don't know how someone may like to turn so heavy wheel which makes it impossible to turn fast in tight turns or chicanes, not to mention countersteering, it's like driving a truck without power steering... not for me.
Old 30 March 11, 08:36   #24
redi
Superator

Quote:
Originally Posted by juls View Post
Not center spring, but damper and friction.

These effect are like the force. They are triggered by the sim, not by the driver.
These sliders like the overall effect strength slider simply apply a multiplier to effects commands received by the wheel from the sim. It is in the direct input documentation, you have multiple effects at your disposal...force, friction, damper and you have to code it, it won't kick in alone because of the driver setting. Moreover I have traced function calls from various sims and there is no doubt the sims like GTR2, rFactor add multiple layers of effects...force, friction, damper while others like LFS/Shift1/RBR only use force. They call the functions, not the driver.

Of course noone has to like how friction/damper feels, but these are effects intended by the developers. It may be interesting to know that you only feel the FFB as it was coded when you enable these effects. At least it is worth a try
Okay, so you're saying that setting damper to 100% gives all of the dampening effects as programmed by the game's makers, and 10% only gives 10% of that, and if the programmers did not code dampening then setting it to 100% will not give any dampening. But doesn't that only hold if the driver itself does not add a continuous damping effect? Surely it would be possible to add dampening effects through the driver without a dependence on a game?
Old 30 March 11, 08:54   #25
redi
Superator

Does the game automatically detect the wheel's rotation angle?
Old 30 March 11, 08:58   #26
pwrslv

Do you mean to match ingame wheel animation to your controller rotation? No. But you can set ingame wheel rotation manually in options.
Old 30 March 11, 09:02   #27
juls

Yes it could be possible to add dampening effect through the driver without a dependance on a game, but it looks like logitech profiler and logitech driver setup panel don't do that or at least I do not feel it.

I mean try LFS with dampening/friction enabled or disabled, for me there is no difference.
Same for Shift 1.
Different in Shift 2, rFactor, GTR2. Shift 2 intentionally adds damper and friction. GTR 2 adds it only when FFB level is more than the first level.

For me it makes sense that overall force, dampening and friction sliders are together (multipliers) when centering spring is separate (driver effect). Makes sense too that default settings enable both damper and friction, and disable centering spring.

Anyway, to sum it up: Shift 2 FFB is very different when you enable damper/friction (unlike Shift 1). You can now control friction/damper level in profiler, that's a new feature.

Last edited by juls; 30 March 11 at 09:15.
Old 30 March 11, 10:40   #28
ocram

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt2380 View Post
I'm not. I tried a lot with differents settings in the G25 profiler. Right now I am at

- Overall strength = 80
- Spring = 20
- Damper = 20
- Centering enabled and = 70 (really makes the difference)
- Use special game settings ticked
- Allow game unticked

Ingame

This is far from beeing perfect, but it gives me somehow the feeling of driving a car. But it does not come close to GT5 etc.. Spring and Damper @ 100 is insane to me. It makes the car feel diffuse. And I hate this canned unnatural force when centering the wheel. I can't stand it.
ocram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 11, 10:53   #29
Sphinx666

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwrslv View Post
My settings for g25 and 900deg

Ingame (will put the screenshot when I come back from work):

FFB strength set to 50%
Steering Deadzone 0%
Steering Sensitivity 50%
Throttle Deadzone 0%
Throttle Sensitivity 50%
Brake Deadzone 0%
Brake Sensitivity 50%
Clutch Deadzone 10%
Clutch Sensitivity 50%
Speed Sensitivity 0%
Speed Sensitivity (Drift) 0%

And this is how it looks now in Profiler:

Make sure to untick the "Allow Game to Adjust FFB Settings"

ATL+TAB mess up FFB for me from time to time, so don't do that in game
Isnt the 50 steering sensitivity to low on 900. On Nordschleife you shoudnt have to steer more than about 400 deegres in a particular corner(don't know what it's called). But with the 50 setting you have to turn the wheel more then that which is not realistic.
Old 30 March 11, 11:06   #30
pwrslv

On 50% you keep ratio 1:1 with your controller, if you set it to lower then when you turn your controller let say ~60deg your ingame wheel will turn ~40deg. Oposite way whan you set it higher.
For me 50% is fine.
Old 30 March 11, 11:42   #31
Misiek

Hi,

Just a quick tip for Fanatec users. I have the GT3RS. I started playing last night on medium and noticed I had a hard time keeping up with the AI. Controller settings on the Fanatec Porsche wheel. In the controller settings screen I found the Throttle sensitivity to be on 50% (BTW I have G25 pedals connected on a USB port). I put this back on 100% and finally I got my speed back.

Overall feel is very good, this feel has good Force Feedback. Mid-engine cars do behave strange (Lotus Exige) also the Porsche GT3 has a weird feeling when steering is centered. This seemed fine for some other cars I tried.
Misiek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 11, 13:12   #32
ccsracer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sphinx666 View Post
Isnt the 50 steering sensitivity to low on 900. On Nordschleife you shoudnt have to steer more than about 400 deegres in a particular corner(don't know what it's called). But with the 50 setting you have to turn the wheel more then that which is not realistic.

You hit on what I think is a big issue in the game, but it's not from the sensitivity setting ( 50% makes the steering linear, which is what we want).

In faster corners the slip-angle is waaaaayy too large. You seem to get maximum cornering force at nearly full lock in almost any corner. Sure in tight, slow corners, you need a lot of steering angle, but in a 3rd gear sweeper, it should need 180* max, not near lock.
ccsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 11, 13:12   #33
81sc

Hmmm, thanks Misiek, I'll have to try that for my G25 pedals. I tried it on hard and after a few tries was able to get 1st, but I wonder if I wasn't getting all the speed I should have too. And I need to try turning on the damping, etc. I'm getting the "ffb seems reversed" feeling, too.
81sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 11, 14:02   #34
Beaverz

Now I'm playing with DFGT. Somehow I feel like FFB has the same tension no matter which angle I turn. When I drive really fast in straight line, some car like Lotus Exiege it's floating like a space ship. But in some car like DB9 seems to be quite stable. How should I adjust my FFB settings?

Sometimes steering feels very responsive but when in critical situation that I have to do full opposite-lock it just sort of stop response to my input.

I've tried pwrslv's method and it seems to work with some cars but steering is very light and twitchy. Then I tick Allow game to adjust settings and FFB become really sticky.

I'm so confused right now. Maybe I should stop playing this for a while and wait for someone to come up with good setup and play it again.
Old 30 March 11, 14:41   #35
MaddmattH

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccsracer View Post
You hit on what I think is a big issue in the game, but it's not from the sensitivity setting ( 50% makes the steering linear, which is what we want).

In faster corners the slip-angle is waaaaayy too large. You seem to get maximum cornering force at nearly full lock in almost any corner. Sure in tight, slow corners, you need a lot of steering angle, but in a 3rd gear sweeper, it should need 180* max, not near lock.
Sounds like you have "Speed sensitive steering" turned on. Probably in the controller options like Shift 1.
Or is it still like that when it's set to 0%?
MaddmattH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 11, 16:13   #36
ccsracer

Nope, it's set to zero... but you're right, it would make that worse
ccsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 11, 16:19   #37
savic13

How to enable mouse steering ? Coping file from shift 1 or editing vehicleset_pc_mousekeyboard.xml when run game allways set back to defoult.
savic13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 11, 16:31   #38
helloworld

Quote:
Originally Posted by savic13 View Post
How to enable mouse steering ? Coping file from shift 1 or editing vehicleset_pc_mousekeyboard.xml when run game allways set back to defoult.
+1

I've been playing around for hours and well, Controllerdefaults don't do a thing. Every time you launch Shift 2, they reset (unless you tick Read-only in properties) which means the data is coming from somewhere else. It's either hard-coded in the game or hidden somewhere.
In fact, you can completely remove the folder and everything works just fine. So...I'm confused.
I've also tried PPJoy, but oh the horror, it doesn't seem to work properly. Even if you can somehow set it up there are still tons of problems. For example, often you can only turn in only one direction. The biggest problem is that even if you do manage to get it working, it's very unresponsive, slow, or too sensitive. You may get it working if you play around with the settings a lot, but at the moment I'm not going to bother, because mouse steering works great in Shift 1 and I'm sure there's a way to make it work in Shift 2.

If you tick read-only the game ignores the settings completely. This is really frustrating.

Oh and hello!
helloworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 11, 17:10   #39
El1iP3S01D

Default Folks,

does the game have 900 degrees steering?
El1iP3S01D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 11, 17:22   #40
helloworld

Quote:
Originally Posted by El1iP3S01D View Post
Yes. According to this post : http://www.nogripracing.com/forum/sh...4&postcount=16 .
Old 30 March 11, 19:11   #41
Sphinx666

Quote:
Originally Posted by El1iP3S01D View Post
I think you meen 900 deegre steering animation ingame. If that's what you mean the answer is no unfortunately alltough they said it will be implemented.
Old 30 March 11, 19:25   #42
Laschlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sphinx666 View Post
I think you meen 900 deegre steering animation ingame. If that's what you mean the answer is no unfortunately alltough they said it will be implemented.
It is implemented. In wheel options where you can adjust dead zones, two last options set to max and in profiler set 900. Sorry my english is bad
Laschlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 11, 19:29   #43
Sphinx666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laschlo View Post
It is implemented. In wheel options where you can adjust dead zones, two last options set to max and in profiler set 900. Sorry my english is bad
What? How the hell Well it must be an error or something since mine is set corectly but the ingame wheel only turns about 100 deegres

Edit: I have tried everything but doesn't work. I eaven set the steering lock to max in the tuning section but nothing works, any ideas?

Last edited by Sphinx666; 30 March 11 at 19:51.
Old 30 March 11, 20:00   #44
helloworld

Now then, I've been messing about with mouse and I've got my simple solution. PPJoy + GlovePIE.

1) Download PPJoy (I used this one http://ppjoy.blogspot.com/2009/11/fi...w-version.html )
2) Make sure to enable test mode (Start -> Run -> CMD -> "bcdedit -set testsigning on"), reboot and install.
3) Open up the configuration utility (Configure Joysticks) and simply click Add, make sure it's Virtual Joystick and that's it. Windows will now take over and installs the driver. We only need the Joystick driver.
4) Download and install GlovePIE (http://glovepie.org/)
5) Open it up and simply add:
Quote:
PPJoy.Analog0 = Mouse.x*2-1
That is all. Just boot up the game, run the GlovePIE script and set up the controls.
There are few problems. First of all, Custom Gamepad doesn't work. Do not use it. I personally chose Custom Wheel and it seems to work just fine.
When setting up the keys yank the mouse in desired direction (i.e. left/right) quickly and then back in the opposite direction. This seems to be the easiest way to get it to recognize the input.

Now you can use mouse to steer. You do need to fiddle around with controls. Default settings are awful. Car sways all over the place. Good luck and hopefully some of you can enjoy the game!

PS: Keep in mind, you're using a mouse which means for more control you can play around with mouse sensitive & smoothing in Windows control panel. There's plenty of control to get it right!

Edit : After a bit of testing I found that my Shift 1 settings translated quite well (30 Steering, 40 Speed). I also added 1% deadzone which helps with swaying. If possible I'd reduce it even further in XML files. Perhaps down to 0.5 if possible.

Last edited by helloworld; 30 March 11 at 20:24.
Old 30 March 11, 20:07   #45
Gooseone

Okay , i am at a loss with this game atm.
I registered on these forums when i was splaying Shift 1 , mainly because i was searching for an improvement in the FFB of my Driving Force Pro which i found to be not acting very realistic ( mind you i have no real simracing background other then enjoying a bunch of racegames ).Contributions concerning setting FFB for a wheel by Juls and Matt 2380 in the concerning threads helped a bunch and i fiddled with the controller files , i have not tried any mods seeing i like my games to just work.
So far i have found my personal preference is with the game not being able to control settings and damper and friction set to 0%.
Although it seems the game does make use of the options i kinda like the FFB to be a little more subtle and to get that "light" feel in the wheel when losing grip on the front tyres , this seems to get lost when letting the game control the settings and turning on damper and friction forces.
There is some improvement in the FFB when braking it seems , although a downshift seems to be the most noticable in the wheel instead of getting feedback on the grip levels of the wheel .
I have some steering lag also , but i have a bit of an outdated system (XP)and it seems to improve with lowering graphic settings , so i would concur that that issue is partially due to system settings/drivers.
I tend to automatically anticipate my driving input so it is not such a problem
(yet).
I also do get the "weave" on straights , but only holding the wheel lightly makes for it to
be a non issue.
To my amazement though i was reading on the main Shift 2 thread and mr "nismogtr123" shares his findings and seems have no issue with the weave , he seems to be able to let go of his wheel and still go straight :O !
Also the clips he posts (here : http://www.nogripracing.com/forum/sh...227627&page=48 )
show the wheel animation concurring with his setting which is someting i have not been able to do and i have been tweaking a lot.
Anyway , i will be following this board to check the developments , and for Logitech wheel users : the "allow game to adjust settings" option and damper and friction settings seem to stick with using ALT+ TAB so it is easy to find your preference.
Gooseone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 11, 20:45   #46
jjrodr

just everyone with sway problem try the what juls said
In logitech profiler:
combined unchecked.
Force feedback enabled
then try a quick race and do 2 or 3 corners, then press ESQ and then resume. Tell me if the problem is fixed when pressing ESQ and resuming, in my case works
jjrodr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 11, 21:53   #47
crowtrobot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrodr View Post
just everyone with sway problem try the what juls said
In logitech profiler:
combined unchecked.
Force feedback enabled
then try a quick race and do 2 or 3 corners, then press ESQ and then resume. Tell me if the problem is fixed when pressing ESQ and resuming, in my case works
Yes! This is money. I felt absolutely no feedback on RWD cars with the default tunings before, which made the invitational events impossible. A quick press of ESC right at the start gives the wheel resistance.

Specs:
Win 7
Q6700 @ 2.66 Ghz
4 GB RAM
EVGA GTX 460
WD 500GB HD

Logitech MOMO

Thank you!
crowtrobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 11, 23:55   #48
jjrodr

yes, stupid "fix", found it chance, by the way it only works after u take control of the car (in quick race)
jjrodr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 11, 00:59   #49
Scorz

My settings for Logitech owners. This is setup for 540 degrees so if do not use 540 degrees then wont help you unless you adjust the sensitivty setting in game afterwards. Should be good for G25/27 and DFGT

Make sure v-sync is disabled and i have pre-rendered frames set to 0 in the control panel. Also don't plug the wheel into your front ports but use mobo USB's

I like a loose wheel with lots of play so if you prefer harsh FFB then this will not suit you.

I tried your settings Juls when i was stuggling with the Lotus and didn't find i liked it with damping and springs tbh. felt to tight, maybe it's good for Fanatecs though

Last edited by nismogtr123; 31 March 11 at 02:47.
Scorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 11, 01:23   #50
Sphinx666

^That's a good setup