NoGripRacing.com

Go Back   NoGripRacing Forums > PC Racing > rFactor

Old 7 April 11, 08:09   #1
ZeosPantera

Default Editing your .PLR file

This isn't every option I have changed but I highlighted the important ones.

Yellow are optional tweaks. The flow lines change how smoke and fire act around your car and others, The backfire anim is WAY too slow by default and some of the rear view mirror settings for distance improvement.

Orange are the big changes. Mostly to do with the "feel" and movement inside the cockpit including but not limited to high speed shake, Look ahead prediction and rear view FOV.

Here's a video of what some of these orange settings can do if you screw with them too much. CAUTION.. Avoid fullscreen if you get motion sickness.

ZeosPantera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 11, 08:39   #2
hutchfaescotland

No point having the mirrors on when your to close to the windscreen lol

I've finaly realised what your fov looks like, its an icey morning and you've just scraped a square off the window to see where your going
hutchfaescotland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 11, 08:49   #3
ZeosPantera

Quote:
Originally Posted by hutchfaescotland View Post
No point having the mirrors on when your to close to the windscreen lol

I've finally realized what your fov looks like, its an icy morning and you've just scraped a square off the window to see where your going
A) I have the virtual mirrors off for the testing. You still need mirrors and no matter how wide your FOV you won't be able to see the right side so you may as well enable that anyway.

B) Essentially yes you are only using a "your monitor" sized hole in the windsheild. If you want more windshield. Buy a bigger monitor or move closer to it and recalculate.

Currently busy arguing the points of correct horizon lines with Lordpantsington over at the ISI forums.

http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.ph...t-wrong?p=8456
Old 8 April 11, 11:15   #4
hutchfaescotland

I can see what your trying to achieve but without a 3 monitor setup its a fairly restricted view with a single monitor, i'm also not into using the unrealistic virtual mirrors and prefer to use the incar and door mirrors, using the look right button you can have a quick glance in to the rhs mirror.

Do you use a 3 monitor setup ?
hutchfaescotland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 11, 12:03   #5
Niels_at_home

Looks a bit like a boat simulator there! The most feel and connection with the car I have with a pretty much fixed head, slight movment perhaps..
Niels_at_home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 11, 18:57   #6
ZeosPantera

No, I don't use a triple-head but this would be correct for the center screen of that setup. I doesn't take that much time to get use to correct fov.

As far as unrealistic virtual mirrors. Unless you have a massive triple-head or track-IR to look at the actual mirror position, enabling them tries to compensate for the speed information is received Vs real life. I just glance at the mirrors up top as if I were glancing up their in real life. Any more time dedicated to that look would be unrealistic. Also the Mirrors in rFactor are pretty unrealistic regardless of how you look at them. It is one mirror viewpoint split into three parts so the side mirrors don't properly display what you would see.
Old 9 April 11, 20:29   #7
tarnsman

Zeus' FoV works great, I use TrackIR for mirrors.
tarnsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 11, 19:15   #8
Spoceto1003

Zeospantera,
Can you help...... I drive a F1 car with the cockpit view, I have altered the FOV down to 21, but the problem is I get very exagerated camera vibration...I have altered the PLR file cockpit vibration mult down to 0.45000 but I still get the camera vibration....Your advice would be welcomed.
Spoceto1003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 11, 19:18   #9
ZeosPantera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoceto1003 View Post
Zeospantera,
Can you help...... I drive a F1 car with the cockpit view, I have altered the FOV down to 21, but the problem is I get very exagerated camera vibration...I have altered the PLR file cockpit vibration mult down to 0.45000 but I still get the camera vibration....Your advice would be welcomed.
Follow the numbers in this thread. If that is still too high just keep lowering the Vibration multiplier down. You can put it to 0 and stop all vibration but that can be a little too boring.
Old 14 April 11, 07:53   #10
Niels_at_home

The thing with the vibration is, its fake, the graphical effect makes it look like you're driving over a bumpy surface.

Especially the default rFactor values with some mods and their cockpitinfo.ini files you can drive on a billiard table smooth track that makes the view shake as if you're on a cobblestone road.

This is very misleading as your brain thinks your car is bumping around which it might not be, but worse, when it IS bumping around, it might not look all that different, yet that could upset the rear end of the car..

Without canned shakes and just some physics based movement (headphysics.ini), your shakes are simply a result of bumps and car G forces, which makes it possibly a help. Vibrations are canned effect that often get in the way, although if you make them small and higher frequency, it might not be too bad..
Niels_at_home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 11, 09:47   #11
Spoceto1003

Thanks for the advice......... However I have reduced the Vibration Mutli down to 0.0000 and the Head Mas down to 0.3 but still like you say driving around the Melbourne F1 track it is difficult to focus on the braking points as they are so distorted with the vibration.... Is there anything else I could try to reduce the camera shake.
Old 14 April 11, 18:40   #12
ZeosPantera

you are adjusting both vibration multipliers correct? After that remove all head movement 0.0.

If you still vibrate at high speeds while braking, change mods and check on a few in similar conditions, It may be something more specific.
Old 14 April 11, 18:53   #13
Spoceto1003

I have altered the track tdf. file with notepad at...RoadBumpAmp and the MiscBumpAmp down to 0.00 and this has cured the problem, I still get the bumps but by altering these I can reduce the amplification, actually you alter the length of the bumps and rumble strips, it is slightly time consuming, but at least I can see where I am going now, Thanks for your help
Old 15 April 11, 01:52   #14
prunn

do you use vi/vim to edit your plr?
what editor is this(1st post, picture), looks nice
prunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 11, 03:02   #15
ZeosPantera

Quote:
Originally Posted by prunn View Post
do you use vi/vim to edit your plr?
what editor is this(1st post, picture), looks nice
Notepad++ with custom Colors
Old 16 April 11, 06:37   #16
ZeosPantera

Posted my first real videos with the adjusted head movement.

This is with the settings laid out above.

However after a week or so of driving like that I felt like some of the spark had been removed from the game. Some of the wild and crazy. So I changed the look ahead slightly to

Lookahead Angle="0.12000" //

and

Head Physics="0.75000" //

from within the game in the rate's tab. (numbers are different there)

It felt very odd with so little movement so I tweaked some more and have settled on this.

The head movement up and down helps loads with the butterflies. (getting them that is)