Hello! my name is Saif..
I'm trying to improve Colin McRae Dirt (1) physics, since it is a game that has spectacular long rally stages (like Dirt 2 and 3 Don't) and it has
Potential modding capabilities to its mechanics. I am basing my knowledge from the Rally Sim Richard Burns Rally game to adapt it's physics in here.
Unfortunately, Dirt 1 Physics are pretty much bad, and Dirt 2 and 3 Don't do us any better (for rally preferrers heh)
I learned a lot from this game mechanichs, though this doesn't mean the mod has perfect behaviour as I would like to, but means that I am capable of changing its
stuff if knowing where the issues are exactly.
This mods changes Cars (only 4 of them now) and Rally Tracks (all of them) physics and mechanichs, such as car's grip, responsiveness, gearing,
differentials, force feedback, acceleration and more...
In the tracks I improved the terrain features, such as heat caused to the wheels, specific grip per terrain type, hardness, dump feeling, etc
RELEASE 0.8 Specific Notes
Totally new Braking System (Still experimental).
New variables discovered to adjust influence of braking in the car, very important to stability and maneuver. Car front cornering, understeering, etc
RELEASE 0.7 Specific Notes
Mod was remade from scratch since I learned a LOT about this game mechanichs, so its a start from scratch and I need your feedback and opinions!
Any help game related or not is appreciated, I can't risk saying this game is capable of everything we want in our dreams but I think we can approach something
CAR CHANGES or CHANGES CAPABLE OF IMPROVEMENT
(Means stuff I'm able to mod)
- Sensitivity and Delay
FRONT AND REAR
- Fast and Slow Bump
- Fast and Slow Rebump
- Spings Compression and Tightness
- Weight Distribution
- RPM and Speed Limitations
- Energy Compression (how much speed reduces when not throttling)
- Ignition and Launch Power
- Turbo potential
- Turbo strenght on rear wheels (to cause spinning)
- Speed Strenght when throtling at wrong transmission level
- Lenght of transmission (game "medium" default was ridiculously short)
- Power per transmission (kinda turbo stuff)
FRONT AND REAR
- Grip (multiplies over the terrain's grip)
- Frontal Tyre Slip (Can't understand yet the rear back ones)
- Tyre Pressure (Not modified by this version yet)
- Pendum Power (recovering stability after spinning, or power spinning, there are many variables modifying this feature so its complicated to achieve wanted results)
- Cambers (not modified by this version yet)
FRONT AND REAR
- Brake Strenght
- Brake duct Size (was ridiculously small in vanilla so braking was very tight)
- Brake BIAS (favoured the rear braking now to improve powersliding and entering corners)
- Car behaviour when braking, such as face cornering or understeering power and repower
- Reduced Engine Whining (I hated how much it yelled heh)
EXTRA NOTES (Read before playing)
I play with a G27, 540 Degrees of rotation, IN game, i've set 30% Dead Zone in Braking And Accelerating, since the game doesn't offer braking accelerating lineality, pedals are kinda over sensitive, so this somehow helps
All 4 cars have been modded kinda differently, if you feel uncomfortable with one of them and better with another one, please give the feedback as they are modded differently for experimenting purposes
EXTRA FEATURES ADDED
- Camera Shaking
- One New "far" cockpit camera
- Damage increased by 100% (may look ridiculous sometimes but its worth not having to crash :p)
- Dirt Bloom Tool (Not Designed by me)
It will adjust bloom to tweak visuals to our preferences (this tool was not designed by me).
I Suggest reducing the Color and Bloom Sliding Bars
- AI Rally times toned down
- Dirt more compressed, hopefully i'll be able to make it last longer
- In the first minute since the game launches, you may experience short freezes, starting in the first time you reach the main menu.
- The RPM Clock in the Hud may not complete its progress when the car is ready to gear up (sometimes)
- Unknown reason for the Citroen C4 to have unstable braking, must be some typo im unable to find
You can only play only 4WD Cars except the CR4 car. This means Peugueot 307, Subaru, Mitsubishi Evo IX and Citroen C4
This is to keep testing and improving before moving on to apply changes to everyone else (besides each car must have their own adjustments and personal testing, but an Idea of WHAT to do is required, and Im still on it)
AI Cars on Rally Cross and similar, can have wrong behavior, since this mod changes stuff the AI is not able to adapt
Contact & Videos
Extract Modded files inside Dirt directy. Extract and overwrite original files
to recover original game data.
Note: You need Dirt 1.21 or 1.22 (im using 1.21 but I think theres no problem in 1.22 as they change
nothing but security stuff)