NoGripRacing.com

Go Back   NoGripRacing Forums > PC Racing > Need For Speed: SHIFT 2 Unleashed

Unread 24 June 11, 19:33   #1
jamesaevans

Default Shift 2 Custom Livery Guide by James Evans

1.0 Getting Started
This guide has been written to explain the process for creating custom liveries for cars in the PC version of NFS Shift 2. This guide assumes that you want to add new liveries to NFS Shift 2 rather than replacing existing liveries. It is also assumed that you are using Adobe Photoshop to create you custom liveries, but the general principles should hold true for other image editing applications that can save DirectDraw Surface (.DDS) format files.

Clicking on each of the images will opena high resolution image in a new window. Alternatively a gallery of all of the high resolution images can be found on my flickr site: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jamesae...th/5867542110/

1.1 File Paths and Downloads
My copy of NFS Shift 2 is installed in the following directory “C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\SHIFT 2 UNLEASHED” so if you have installed the game in a different location you will need to update the paths in this guide accordingly.

Before starting to create your custom livery for NFS Shift 2 there are a couple of files and utilities which you will need to download first.

1.2 NVIDIA Texture Tools for Adobe Photoshop
The NVIDIA Texture Tools are required to enable you to save your custom liveries in the correct .DDS format required by NFS Shift 2. The NVIDIA Texture Tools for Adobe Photoshop can be downloaded using the following link: http://developer.nvidia.com/nvidia-t...dobe-photoshop

1.3 Custom Livery Templates
The RN Release Group at NoGripRacing have created a series of templates in Photoshop (.PSD) format for each of the cars in NFS Shift 2 to enable you to create custom liveries. The templates can be downloaded from NoGripRacing using the following link: http://www.nogripracing.com/files.php?subcat=112

Last edited by jamesaevans; 24 June 11 at 21:24.
jamesaevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 June 11, 19:33   #2
jamesaevans

2.0 Creating the Custom Livery
Open the .PSD template file for the car that you want to create a custom livery for, in my case this will be the Lamborghini Gallardo GT3 (lamborghni_gallardo_gt3.psd). If you are creating a custom livery for a road car, then the .PSD template should include separate layers for each body kit including the works conversion.

I began by doing some research on Google and Flickr to get a feel for the type of livery designs that I thought would work well on the Gallardo GT3. For my first livery I wanted a clean and simple design that would show off the angular lines of the Gallardo, but which also looked realistic and had a motorsport heritage. Therefore, I decided to go with a Martini Racing theme based loosely on the Porsche 935 as shown below:

2.1 Opening the Template
Open the .PSD template file in Adobe Photoshop and you should see a wireframe mesh which will indicate where to paint your livery as shown below:

I found that it was helpful to duplicate the wireframe layer so that I had a copy both above and below my custom livery. In this way I was able to toggle the upper wireframe layer on/off as I worked on my custom livery.

Note: I have also found it helpful to extract one of the original skins for the car that you are creating a custom livery for as this can help with positioning logos on the car.

2.2 Painting your Livery
It is important to note that the .PSD template file is of a high resolution (4096 x 5880 for the Lamborghini Gallardo GT3) so if you are downloading images and logos to use in your custom livery these also need to be of a high resolution. I would recommend that you use folders in Photoshop to organise your layers, and give each folder and layer a descriptive name e.g. rear wing. Once your custom livery is complete you should have something which looks like this:

Note: After testing my custom livery in NFS Shift 2 I identified that you do not need to include the Lamborghini badge on the front or rear of the car as these are included with the lights and other details which are overlaid on top of your custom livery.

2.3 Saving the Livery
Assuming that you have installed the NVIDIA Texture Tools for Adobe Photoshop you should now be able to save you new custom livery as a .DDS file by following these steps:
  • Hide the wireframe layer in PhotoShop
  • Flatten the image file in PhotoShop
You should now have a file that looks like the image below:

• Resize the image to 4096x4096 (this will change the aspect ratio of the image)
You should now have a file that looks like the image below:

By default the Lamborghini Gallardo GT3 in NFS Shift 2 has two liveries to choose from, therefore as I will be adding my Martini Racing custom livery as a third option:
  • Set the format as .DDS file
  • Set the file name as “lam_gal_gt3_livery03_hr.dds”

Note: If you are not sure of the correct filename for your custom livery you can check it later in step 3.1

When the NVIDIA dialogue box appears follow these steps:
  • Select “DXT1 RGB 4 bpp | no alpha” from the first dropdown menu
  • Select the “Generate MIPS maps” radio button
  • Set value MIPS maps to “12”
  • Click the “Save” button

Note: I encountered occasional issues with the NVIDIA tools which required me to close and re-launch Photoshop, and in some cases restart my PC before it would save the .DDS file. 

Last edited by jamesaevans; 27 June 11 at 19:14.
Unread 24 June 11, 19:34   #3
jamesaevans

3) Installing your custom livery

3.1) Unpacking VehicleHRLiveries.bff
In order to add your custom liveries to NFS Shift 2 it is necessary to unpack the “VehicleHRLiveries.bff” file by following these steps:
Using the NFS Tools unpack the “VehicleHRLiveries.bff” file by following these steps:
  • Run the “BFFUnpacker.exe” utility from the NFS Tools directory
  • Browse for the “VehicleHRLiveries.bff” file which will be located in the following location:
    “C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\SHIFT 2 UNLEASHED\Pakfiles”
  • Right-click and select “Extract All”
  • Browse for the location to extract the “VehicleHRLiveries.bff” file to which should be the root folder for NFS Shift 2, which in my case is:
    “C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\SHIFT 2 UNLEASHED”

Note: I found that I needed to install the first patch for Shift 2 before I was able to run the “BFFUnpacker.exe” utility without is displaying an error message
  • Once the “BFFUnpacker.exe” utility has finished click “Yes” to view the extracted files. You should see the .DDS livery files for each car in the following location:
    “C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\SHIFT 2 UNLEASHED\Vehicles\textures”

Note: At this point you can check the file name that you should give your custom livery .DDS file. In my case this will be “lam_gal_gt3_livery03_hr.dds” as I am adding my Martini Racing livery as a third option in addition to the two that come with the game (“lam_gal_gt3_livery01_hr.dds” & “lam_gal_gt3_livery02_hr.dds”).

Return to the folder containing the “VehicleHRLiveries.bff” file which should be
“C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\SHIFT 2 UNLEASHED\Pakfiles”
  • Rename the “VehicleHRLiveries.bff” file to “VehicleHRLiveries-copy.bff” as shown below:

By renaming the “VehicleHRLiveries.bff” file the game will look in the “C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\SHIFT 2 UNLEASHED\Vehicles\textures” directory for the extracted liveries and your custom liveries. It also means that you can rename the file back to its original file name and return the game to it’s out of the box settings should you have a problem with your custom liveries.

Now is probably a good time to test that NFS Shift 2 works with the unpacked “VehicleHRLiveries.bff” files, so start launch the game and try selecting a few different liveries for your cars to make sure you don’t get any errors.

If the cars appear without any bodywork or in gloss black then you have extracted the “VehicleHRLiveries.bff” file to the wrong location. If everything works correctly you are ready to move onto the next stage of adding your custom livery to NFS Shift 2.

3.2) Add custom livery to NFS Shift 2
Copy the custom livery .DDS file that you created (lam_gal_gt3_livery03_hr.dds) to the following location:
“C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\SHIFT 2 UNLEASHED\Vehicles\textures”

Last edited by jamesaevans; 25 June 11 at 06:35.
Unread 24 June 11, 19:35   #4
jamesaevans

3.3 Configuring the in game menu
In order to add a new custom livery rather than replace one of the out of the box liveries, it is necessary to edit the “vehiclespersistent.bff” file. Before making any changes to this file it is recommended that you make a backup of the .BFF file as follows:
  • Navigate to the “vehiclespersistent.bff” file which will be located in the following location:
    “C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\SHIFT 2 UNLEASHED\Pakfiles\Vehicles”
  • Make a copy of the “vehiclespersistent.bff” file called “vehiclespersistent-copy.bff”
Before unpacking the .RCF configuration file it is recommended to create a folder to contain the files as this makes injecting them easier when we get to that step:
  • Create a new folder in the location of your choice, which for me was "C:\To_Inject"
Using the NFS Tools unpack the “vehiclespersistent.bff” file by following these steps:
  • Run “BFFUnpacker.exe” utility from the NFS Tools directory
  • Browse for the “vehiclespersistent.bff” file which will be located in
    “C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\SHIFT 2 UNLEASHED\Pakfiles\Vehicles”

In order to add your custom livery as a new livery rather than replacing an existing livery it is necessary to have two .RCF files as follows:
  • lamborghini_gallardo_gt3.rcf (#351)
  • lamborghini_gallardo_gt3_hr.rcf (#484)

The first .RCF file (lamborghini_gallardo_gt3.rcf) is used to configure the livery for use in the menus where you select from the available liveries for your car.

The second .RCF file (lamborghini_gallardo_gt3_hr.rcf) is used to configure the livery for use when racing on track.
  • Select the .RCF configuration file for the car you are creating a custom livery for, in my case this is “lamborghini_gallardo_gt3.rcf”
  • Right-click and select “Extract selected file(s)...”
  • Browse for the location to extract the “VehicleHRLiveries.bff” file to, which should be the new top level folder you create in the previous step. In my case this was: "C:\To_Inject"

• Repeat the above steps to extract the “lamborghini_gallardo_gt3_hr.rcf” file from the “vehiclespersistent.bff” file which should give you the following result with the two .RCF files in the following location "C:\To_Inject\vehicles\ lamborghini_gallardo_gt3"

Having extracted the two .RCF files it is now time begin editing the configuration file:
  • Open the “lamborghini_gallardo_gt3.rcf” file using MS Notepad
  • Edit the .RCF file and add the following information as highlighted in red:
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
<REPLACEMENT_SYSTEM>
	<!-- INPUTS section describes all inputs which can control selection of replacement items -->
	<INPUTS>
		<INPUT NAME="LIVERY" OPTIONS="3" />	
</INPUTS>

<NAMES INPUT ="LIVERY">
		<NAME LIVERY="51" NAME="#24 Argo Racing" />
		<NAME LIVERY="52" NAME="#25 Argo Racing" />
		<NAME LIVERY="53" NAME="#66 Martini Racing" />	
</NAMES>

<!-- DEPENDENCY section describes inputs which depend on each other in that only some combinations are permitted -->
	<!-- this will only be used in game for the menu system, and in the editor -->

<!-- CONDITION sections define what to replace and when to replace it		-->
	<!-- They are used in the same way for all situations				-->

<!-- Simple case - exterior paint effecting two materials -->

<CONDITION LIVERY="51">
		<REPLACE MATERIAL="LAM_GAL_GT3_PAINT" NEWMATERIAL="Vehicles\_Paint_Colors\livery_gallardo_024.mtx" />
		<REPLACE MATERIAL="LAM_GAL_GT3_PAINT_SKIN" NEWMATERIAL="Vehicles\_Paint_Colors\livery_gallardo_024_skin.mtx" />
	</CONDITION>

<CONDITION LIVERY="52">
		<REPLACE MATERIAL="LAM_GAL_GT3_PAINT" NEWMATERIAL="Vehicles\_Paint_Colors\livery_gallardo_025.mtx" />
		<REPLACE MATERIAL="LAM_GAL_GT3_PAINT_SKIN" NEWMATERIAL="Vehicles\_Paint_Colors\livery_gallardo_025_skin.mtx" />
		<REPLACE TEXTURE="LAM_GAL_GT3_BANNER_024_DIFFUSE.dds" NEWTEXTURE="LAM_GAL_GT3_BANNER_025_DIFFUSE.dds" />
	</CONDITION>

<CONDITION LIVERY="53">
		<REPLACE TEXTURE="COMMON_PAINT.dds" NEWTEXTURE="lamborghini_gallardo_gt3_livery03_hr.dds" />
	</CONDITION>
</REPLACEMENT_SYSTEM>
  • Repeat the above steps or the “lamborghini_gallardo_gt3_hr.rcf” files
The final step is to inject the two updated .CRF files back into the “vehiclespersistent.bff” file using the NFS Tools and by following these steps:
  • Run the “BffInject.exe” utility from the NFS Tools directory
  • When prompted browse to the root folder for NFS Shift 2, which in my case is: “C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\SHIFT 2 UNLEASHED"

• Select the “Inject from Folder” tab
  • Browse for the top level source folder which contains the updated .RCF file, which in my case was “C:\To_Inject“
Note: You should not browse to the sub-folders as they were created to match the location of the .RCF file inside the “vehiclespersistent.bff” file.
  • Browse to the “vehiclespersistent.bff” file to inject the .RCF file into, which will be located in “C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\SHIFT 2 UNLEASHED\Pakfiles\Vehicles”
  • Click the “Inject Now” button
  • When the “BffInject.exe” utility has completed injecting the .RCF file you should see a message that 2 files were successfully injected

Last edited by jamesaevans; 27 August 11 at 07:51.
Unread 24 June 11, 19:37   #5
jamesaevans

4.0 The Finished Result
You can now launch NFS Shift 2 and go into the car menu to select your custom livery:

Selecting the custom livery

Previewing the livery

Taking a photo

On track at Brands Hatch

It may be necessary to make a few final tweaks to your custom livery to get it looking exactly the way you want. Therefore, you will need to return to Photoshop, make the edits to your custom livery, save a new .DDS file and copy this file to the “C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\SHIFT 2 UNLEASHED\Vehicles\textures” directory over writing the previous .DDS file that you created.

Last edited by jamesaevans; 25 June 11 at 07:09.
Unread 24 June 11, 19:38   #6
jamesaevans

5.0 Advanced
Once you have mastered the basics there are a number of advanced features which you can use to further enhance your custom livery, including placing graphics on the windows, using matt paint and changing the wheel colour.

I plan to expand this guide to include these additional advanced features once I have had time to investigate them further.

5.1 Matt & Metallic Livery
I’ve been busy with my new job (and creating lots of new custom liveries) so I have not had time to update this guide recently. However, when I was trying to create the matt black livery for the Matech Ford GT1 test car I tracked down a post by a100miles2go, which explains how to create Matt and Metallic liveries.

Initially it was not clear exactly how to apply the Matt and Metallic liveries, however after some experimentation I now have the process documented. Firstly I created my custom livery in the normal way, and for the purpose of this section of the guide the livery is “FORD_GT1_LIVERY06-Test_HR.dds”

Firstly here is the code entered into both of the .RCF files to add your custom livery in the normal way:
Code:
<CONDITION LIVERY="56">
<REPLACE TEXTURE="COMMON_PAINT.dds" NEWTEXTURE="FORD_GT1_LIVERY06-Test_HR.dds" />
</CONDITION>
Which gives a normal gloss finish:

However, the code required to add a Matt or Metallic livery is slightly different. Firstly you apply a material:
• “Vehicles\_Paint_Colors\paint_nissan_matte_black.m tx” for matt
• “Vehicles\_Paint_Colors\paint_honda_polished_metal _metallic.mtx” for metallic

Secondly you apply your livery as a texture to replace the livery that was part of the material. The underlying paint controls the finish of your livery.

To create a matt livery you would use the following code in both of the .RCF files:
Code:
<CONDITION LIVERY="56">
<REPLACE MATERIAL="FORD_GT1_PAINT" NEWMATERIAL="Vehicles\_Paint_Colors\paint_nissan_matte_black.mtx" /> <REPLACE TEXTURE="PAINT_NISSAN_BLACK.dds" NEWTEXTURE="FORD_GT1_LIVERY06-Test_HR.dds" />
</CONDITION>
Which gives a matt finish:

To create a metallic livery you would use the following code in both of the .RCF files:
Code:
<CONDITION LIVERY="56">
<REPLACE MATERIAL="FORD_GT1_PAINT" NEWMATERIAL="Vehicles\_Paint_Colors\paint_honda_polished_metal_metallic.mtx" /> <REPLACE TEXTURE="PAINT_HONDA_POLISHED_METAL_METALLIC.dds" NEWTEXTURE="FORD_GT1_LIVERY06-Test_HR.dds" />
</CONDITION>
Which gives a metallic finish:

Hopefully the steps to create matt and metallic liveries is now easy to follow, and should enable the creation of even more interesting skins for Shift 2. As far as I know it is only possible for the whole livery to be gloss, matt or metallic, and it is not possible to have a livery that contains multiple finishes. However if anyone figures out how to achieve this please let me know so that I can add it to this section of the guide.

Last edited by jamesaevans; 15 January 12 at 22:36. Reason: Matt and Metallic livery section added
Unread 24 June 11, 19:39   #7
jamesaevans

6.0 Useful references
In putting together this guide I found the following to be useful resources and would recommend them to anyone else considering creating a custom livery for Shift 2:

SHIFT 2 - Templates for all cars
http://www.nogripracing.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=248238

Please could someone post a detailed tutorial on how to install hi-res templates?
http://www.nogripracing.com/forum/sh....php?p=1367116

7.0 Acknowledgements

In putting together this guide I would like to acknowledge the guidance, support and feedback from the following NoGripRacing members:
• The Rocke
• Rego72
• WASER
• Xtra
• ii airwave ii
• 100miles2go

Last edited by jamesaevans; 15 January 12 at 22:35.
Unread 24 June 11, 19:48   #8
edubz123

Sticky!
edubz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 June 11, 21:07   #9
Hagane007

Sticky indeed.
Hagane007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 June 11, 21:08   #10
Minoza

WOW! Nice one! Can't wait for matt paint part, really would love to see how to achieve this. I guess through specular (black?) map...
Minoza is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 June 11, 22:05   #11
khildram

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minoza View Post
WOW! Nice one! Can't wait for matt paint part, really would love to see how to achieve this. I guess through specular (black?) map...
+1 Matte paint required here

Awesome tutorial ! If I had this before it would have saved me the time I lost reading every readme from the Shift 2 skins section until I got all info.

And nice Lambo too.

If I may add a tip, I would say sometimes when you need to adjust the position of some stickers, (i.e. so they look good on all kits), if you update the .dds in the unpacked dir of the liveries, then you don't need to restart the game just display a car that uses another texture and come back on your car it will load the new updated one.
It's pretty timesaving !
khildram is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 June 11, 22:37   #12
kligson

Excellent work! Thank you!
kligson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 June 11, 00:45   #13
a100miles2go

This is a great skinning guide. You should compile it in to a pdf document as a downloadable guide.
a100miles2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 June 11, 01:31   #14
C0k3R

Nice guide Thank You
C0k3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 June 11, 04:54   #15
mfxfgr

1. Sticky
2. Very nice THX wallpaper
mfxfgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 June 11, 05:26   #16
Sinkko

this is the guide i was searching for when i started skinning, too bad it didn't exist yet. fantastic job. no doubt it will help a lot of people!

i am really looking forward to the advanced section being added... would love to understand materials/matt/specular - etc

Thank you!
Sinkko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 June 11, 12:35   #17
jamesaevans

Thank you all for the positive feedback and I hope you find the guide useful. Similarly, if you have any feedback or suggestions for improvements please don't hesitate to post them in this thread.

This is the first time that I have tried creating custom liveries for a game and initially I found it very difficult to understand the steps that I needed to follow. However, with some research and the advice from several more knowledgable forum members I was able to understand and document the full end to end process.

I'm currently working on a second skin for the Gallardo GT3 based on the classic Gulf livery:

Once this second Gallardo GT3 livery is completed I will post both skins in the downloads area.

James
Unread 25 June 11, 14:03   #18
540iS2

Great guide! I always liked to make skins for GTR Evo, LFS etc. But to difficult in Shift 2.

Your guide can open up the magix box of skins for this game. And the game really needs some customizing to keep me interested.

Thanks a lot for the time you've spend!

Last edited by 540iS2; 25 June 11 at 21:15.
540iS2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 June 11, 20:46   #19
ENDR

Can anyone enlighten me WHY can't I inject a 5th livery for GT-R SpecV (with 4 of them in vanilla game)?
Injecting four dds files next to the default one of the BMW M3 GT2 ALMS worked fine and all of them are selectable in the game. Why can't I do that this time?
Everytime I try BFF Inject says
Quote:
File vehicles\textures\nissan_gtr_specv_livery05_hr.dds not found in original archive, ignored.
Am I missing something?
ENDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 June 11, 02:24   #20
Kaerar

Might be missing from a list file somewhere?
Kaerar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 June 11, 03:45   #21
Aldarris
Idontfinishanyth

I thought you couldn't inject files that weren't in the original BFF. Meaning you have to replace a file and not add a new one.
Aldarris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 June 11, 09:17   #22
Minoza

I'm still trying to figure out how to use different paint styles as base... Matte for example... I saw few types of materials used for liveries in bff / rcf files but not sure which ones to use and where to place them...
Minoza is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 June 11, 12:27   #23
ENDR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaerar View Post
Might be missing from a list file somewhere?
Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldarris View Post
I thought you couldn't inject files that weren't in the original BFF. Meaning you have to replace a file and not add a new one.
That's what I thought too, but THIS -> http://www.nogripracing.com/details.php?filenr=32154
skin pack works fine, even though the car has only one default skin.

Other question - I made a skin for Lotus Exige using one of the default textures and one of the templates, I followed closely the instructions about saving the DDS file.
I still couldn't inject a new file to the archive, so I found the ugliest default skin (the purple one ;D) and replaced it with mine. Unfortunately, every time I try to preview it in the game, it crashes...
Does any one know what might be the cause?
Unread 26 June 11, 13:20   #24
dogstar060763

Fantastic guide, James. Very much appreciated. I'm not sure whether I'll try this or not, but it's a great to have the option now that we have a well-written, illustrated guide. Good job, fella.
dogstar060763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 June 11, 19:17   #25
khildram

One small question James, you say to change resolution to 4096x4096 before saving to .dds but all HR liveries are 2048x2048 in the game.

I may be wrong but I don't think this is right. Here is my basic logic :

You can see all the HR .dds files from the game are all 2731KB and 2048x2048 when you open them.
You can make the test, a 4096x4096 .dds file when saved is 10923KB.

So basically, using 4096 resolution for texture instead of standard 2048 will increase memory consumption on the GFX card of 8192Ko per car using such a livery. In a race of 16 cars all using a 4096 resolution, then the usage of memory on the GFX card will be at least 131MB higher than what it should.

Also you don't really need a 4096 resolution DDS here, unless maybe if you play triple screen (and even then I don't think it is necessary). See wikipedia on mipmapping explanations :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
If the texture has a basic size of 256 by 256 pixels, then the associated mipmap set may contain a series of 8 images, each one-fourth the total area of the previous one: 128×128 pixels, 64×64, 32×32, 16×16, 8×8, 4×4, 2×2, 1×1 (a single pixel). If, for example, a scene is rendering this texture in a space of 40×40 pixels, then either a scaled up version of the 32×32 (without trilinear interpolation) or an interpolation of the 64×64 and the 32×32 mipmaps (with trilinear interpolation) would be used.
So in order to really use the 4096 texture you would have to have a very high gaming resolution.

On the same logic, I would tend to think that the ideal setting for the number of mip mapping in DDS tool is "All".
Unread 27 June 11, 03:18   #26
a100miles2go

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENDR View Post
I still couldn't inject a new file to the archive, so I found the ugliest default skin (the purple one ;D) and replaced it with mine. Unfortunately, every time I try to preview it in the game, it crashes...
Does any one know what might be the cause?
Not sure if your game crashing has anything to do with what this guy had in this other thread http://www.nogripracing.com/forum/sh...1&postcount=14

I think the new skin compression ratio can't exceed default skin compression ratio. Not a 100% sure but check the compression ratio to see if it is the cause of the crash.
a100miles2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 June 11, 12:28   #27
ENDR

Funny thing - with VehicleHRLiveries.bff completely unpacked the skin works fine. It's as if the injector had problems with injecting it to the .bff.

Aaaand another thing - happy about the skin working I decided to try to add it as an extra skin, without replacing one of default ones. Quick edit of the .rcf files, injected them back to the archive, started the game and... in the skin list there were only two top options ("Edit" and the skin edited in-game). Even factory colors were missing.
Damn, this game is really annoying when it comes to modding. Why couldn't they "open" the engine to mods, like Bethesda always does...
Unread 27 June 11, 13:27   #28
Kaerar

That would be an EA decision. EA are notorious for not liking modding of their games out of the box, but if they get cracked to allow mods they are also apathetic so don't stop it.

Weird really...
Kaerar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 June 11, 19:19   #29
jamesaevans

Quote:
Can anyone enlighten me WHY can't I inject a 5th livery for GT-R SpecV (with 4 of them in vanilla game)?
Injecting four dds files next to the default one of the BMW M3 GT2 ALMS worked fine and all of them are selectable in the game. Why can't I do that this time?
Everytime I try BFF Inject says
Am I missing something?
Hi ENDR,

I think you may be confusing the two possible approaches:

Approach 1: Replacing an existing livery
- Inject a new livery file to replace an exsiting livery file

Approach 2: Adding a new livery
- As per my guide above where you unpack the livery files but inject only the .RCF configuration files

If you follow my guide above you should be able to include additional liveries for all cars. If you are still having problems I'll try to help you out, but I'm still learning about modding myself.

James

Last edited by jamesaevans; 22 July 11 at 14:55.
Unread 27 June 11, 19:24   #30
jamesaevans

Quote:
Originally Posted by khildram View Post
One small question James, you say to change resolution to 4096x4096 before saving to .dds but all HR liveries are 2048x2048 in the game.

I may be wrong but I don't think this is right. Here is my basic logic :

You can see all the HR .dds files from the game are all 2731KB and 2048x2048 when you open them.
You can make the test, a 4096x4096 .dds file when saved is 10923KB.

So basically, using 4096 resolution for texture instead of standard 2048 will increase memory consumption on the GFX card of 8192Ko per car using such a livery. In a race of 16 cars all using a 4096 resolution, then the usage of memory on the GFX card will be at least 131MB higher than what it should.

Also you don't really need a 4096 resolution DDS here, unless maybe if you play triple screen (and even then I don't think it is necessary). See wikipedia on mipmapping explanations :

So in order to really use the 4096 texture you would have to have a very high gaming resolution.

On the same logic, I would tend to think that the ideal setting for the number of mip mapping in DDS tool is "All".
Hi khildram,

Thank you for the feedback.

I went with a 4096x4096 resolution as this is what I came acorss as the recommened resolution when researching how to add new liveries to the game.

The wireframe templates that you can download from this form are of a 4096x???? resolution, so this also lead me to go with the high resolution.

At the moment I'm only using the custom livery on my own car and have not noticed any slow down in frame rate, but I will do some further testing. But as you suggest if every car in the field is using the high resolution texture maps there could be a performance hit. For reference I'm running a GTX 570 graphics car on a 50" plasma screen at 1920x1080 resolution.

James
Unread 27 June 11, 19:30   #31
jamesaevans

Quote:
Funny thing - with VehicleHRLiveries.bff completely unpacked the skin works fine. It's as if the injector had problems with injecting it to the .bff.

Aaaand another thing - happy about the skin working I decided to try to add it as an extra skin, without replacing one of default ones. Quick edit of the .rcf files, injected them back to the archive, started the game and... in the skin list there were only two top options ("Edit" and the skin edited in-game). Even factory colors were missing.
Damn, this game is really annoying when it comes to modding. Why couldn't they "open" the engine to mods, like Bethesda always does...
Hi ENDR,

Couple more thoughts on your problems. If injecting the texture backinto the game (rather than following my approach above) I think you will need to use the smaller 2048x2048 resolution and make sure the file size is the same as the original file.

If you have followed my guide and are still only seeing the two original textures make sure you have increased the number in the "Inputs" parameter in both .RCF files as follows:

Code:
<INPUTS>
</INPUTS>
Hope that's helpful.

James
Unread 27 June 11, 19:34   #32
jamesaevans

Here is a quick preview of the Gulf livery that I am working on:

James
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SHIFT2U 2011-06-26 19-31-47-62.jpg (144.4 KB, 9346 views)
Unread 27 June 11, 19:51   #33
ENDR

Apart from what I've already said in my private message:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesaevans View Post
Couple more thoughts on your problems. If injecting the texture backinto the game (rather than following my approach above) I think you will need to use the smaller 2048x2048 resolution and make sure the file size is the same as the original file.
Done that. Didn't work...

Quote:
If you have followed my guide and are still only seeing the two original textures make sure you have increased the number in the "Inputs" parameter in both .RCF files as follows:

Code:
<INPUTS>
</INPUTS>
Yup, done that too. Maybe I simply reached the maximum number of liveries, since the Exige already has 14 of them!
When I was trying to add a fifth texture to the GT-R I edited the .rcf files accordingly and the corresponding entry was visible in the game (even though I couldn't inject the texture - the game just slapped a default, black texture on the car).

When it comes to modding, this game is really annoying... and unpredictable..
Unread 27 June 11, 23:31   #34
e345spd

Excellent writeup and design. Just got a gradient test one I made working. Thanks to your tutorial, it didn't take very long to get everything set up. Are any of the cars other than the 135i liveries incorrectly named? The .dds and menu file names are all messed up.

Anyways, here is a really bad livery for the 135, with reversed hood text....lol
this one was saved at 2048x2048, I did notice it took a bit longer to load the liveries once they were unpacked, which makes sense.
e345spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 June 11, 09:16   #35
ii airwave ii

@ ENDR

You can't inject a 5th livery for the GT-R because the original game only has 4 liveries, you're right you can't inject new files to the bff files. The reason you got it to work with the BMW M3 ALMS is that there was already four liveries in the original game three of them are just not activated by the .RCF files.

To add new liveries and not just replace them you need to run VehicleHRLiveries.bff unpacked as James has explained.
ii airwave ii is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 June 11, 09:31   #36
acti0n

One suggestion: To save DDS Files I use DXTbmp. It is much better than the Photoshop plugin

http://www.btinternet.com/~mnwright/programs/dxtbmp.htm
acti0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 June 11, 09:39   #37
Rego72

Excelent Work jamesaevans
Rego72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 June 11, 12:17   #38
jamesaevans

Quote:
Originally Posted by acti0n View Post
One suggestion: To save DDS Files I use DXTbmp. It is much better than the Photoshop plugin

http://www.btinternet.com/~mnwright/programs/dxtbmp.htm
Hi acti0n,

That looks like a useful utility as I'm still having occasional issues when saving the .DDS file using the NVIDIA tools.

Thanks for posting the link.

James
Unread 9 July 11, 17:53   #39
jamesaevans

I've been working on a couple more skins for the Gallardo GT3 which I plan to release as a pack of 5 skins (Martini, Gulf, NewMan, Vitaphone and a surprise 5th skin).

Here are a couple of WIP photos of the NewMan and Vitaphone liveries:

James
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SHIFT2U 2011-07-09 15-27-47-28.jpg (145.8 KB, 9197 views)
File Type: jpg SHIFT2U 2011-07-09 15-30-18-93.jpg (145.2 KB, 9151 views)
Unread 9 July 11, 20:03   #40
acti0n

Looks nice

I'm gonna to create Skins too. Shift 2 needs them

Any suggestions which skin is nice ? (ONLY GT1, GT2 or GT3 Cars which are in Shift 2)
acti0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 July 11, 20:18   #41
Brainbug

@jamesaevans
looking forward for the lampo-pack.
Brainbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 July 11, 10:58   #42
FLX1981

Damn James, great work! I would kill for this on PS3... :/
FLX1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 July 11, 14:10   #43
khildram

James the details for Matte/Metallic/Normal skin is there thanks to a100miles2go :

http://www.nogripracing.com/forum/sh....php?p=1418131

It would be a nice addition to this thread, which could be a worthwhile sticky compared to some other stickies
Unread 22 July 11, 09:59   #44
heymoa

Quote:
james the details for matte/metallic/normal skin is there thanks to a100miles2go :

it would be a nice addition to this thread, which could be a worthwhile sticky compared to some other stickies
+1
heymoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 July 11, 14:54   #45
jamesaevans

Quote:
James the details for Matte/Metallic/Normal skin is there thanks to a100miles2go :

It would be a nice addition to this thread, which could be a worthwhile sticky compared to some other stickies
Hi khildram,

Thank you for posting this link, I have not come across that thread before. If I get some time in the next week I will try out the matt / metalic paint finishes and add them to my guide.

James
Unread 22 July 11, 21:15   #46
kligson

Good job on making this sticky... it damn well deserves it!
kligson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 July 11, 04:55   #47
heymoa

Quote:
Hi khildram,

Thank you for posting this link, I have not come across that thread before. If I get some time in the next week I will try out the matt / metalic paint finishes and add them to my guide.

James
Get that skin pack finished first! That Martini Lambo is superb!

About time this was sticky too
Unread 25 July 11, 10:42   #48
jamesaevans

Quote:
Originally Posted by kligson View Post
Good job on making this sticky... it damn well deserves it!
Thank you and glad to hear that you found the guide useful.

James
Unread 25 July 11, 10:44   #49
jamesaevans

Quote:
Originally Posted by heymoa View Post
Get that skin pack finished first! That Martini Lambo is superb!

About time this was sticky too
Hi heymoa,

Still working on the Gallardo GT3 pack, but have been maxed out with work and karting recently. Great to hear that you like the Martini Racing livery, I was very happy that it came out so well for my first attempt.

Hopefully I will get some time to work on the skins in the next week.

James
Unread 26 July 11, 05:50   #50
heymoa

Quote:
Hi heymoa,

Still working on the Gallardo GT3 pack, but have been maxed out with work and karting recently. Great to hear that you like the Martini Racing livery, I was very happy that it came out so well for my first attempt.

Hopefully I will get some time to work on the skins in the next week.

James
Karting or mucking about with skins.... hmmmm I know which I would be doing!! lucky bugger