NoGripRacing.com

Go Back   NoGripRacing Forums > General Discussion > Real Life Motorsport

Old 15 February 12, 08:53   #351
KindaUnstuck

WSR announcement:

http://btcc.net/html/generalnews_detail.php?id=2828

3 turbo charged S2000 BMWs - Collard, Foster and Onslow-Cole

BMW Turbo charged engine, prepared by Neil Brown (same company who supply Honda engines to Dynamics, Pirtek and also Hartmann Racing from the ETCC.

Could be the strongest BMW season for a while, should be good for a couple of wins.
KindaUnstuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 12, 08:53   #352
Alex1911

Exclamation

WSR confirmed TOC , Collard and Foster in turbo BMW
Alex1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 12, 10:58   #353
-=Prodrive=-
Uploader

Great news on 3 cars. Engine should be strong, lets just hope the chassis doesn't suffer with the heavier engine up front and (probably) more savage power delivery...
-=Prodrive=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 12, 13:48   #354
dansboi

only 1.6 turbo's though, wont everyone else be using 2litres?
dansboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 12, 13:53   #355
Alex1911

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansboi View Post
only 1.6 turbo's though, wont everyone else be using 2litres?
everyone in BTCC uses 2.0 Turbos!!
Old 15 February 12, 14:23   #356
-=Prodrive=-
Uploader

I presume its a BMW block though, yes? Or can they run custom "racing engines?" I forget now with all the reg changes...?
-=Prodrive=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 12, 16:55   #357
ivaneurope

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Prodrive=- View Post
I presume its a BMW block though, yes? Or can they run custom "racing engines?" I forget now with all the reg changes...?
According to the rules the engines must be based on production engine from the respective brand - if you race with BMW(either S2000 or NGTC) the NGTC engine must be based on production BMW engine. Citing that WSR will go with Neil Brown BMW engine, IMO WSR/eBay Motors will go with NGTC BMW - either with the new 3 series or with the larger 5 Series. And one more question - is the M3 eligible to enter in the NGTC rules?
ivaneurope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 12, 17:07   #358
Alex1911

UPDATED Entry list

statistics
14 NGTC
13 S2000
________
27 TOTAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex1911 View Post

so far we have

BLUE is for old S2000 cars

1) Honda Civic - Honda Racing - Matt Neal
2) Honda Civic - Honda Racing - Gordon Shedden

3) Honda Civic - Pirtek Racing - Andrew Jordan
4) Honda Civic - Pirtek Racing - Jeff Smith

5)Toyota Avensis - Speedworks Motorsport - Tony Hughes
6)Toyota Avensis - Speedworks Motorsport - Adam Morgan

7) Vauxhall Vectra - ES Racing - Chris James
8) Vauxhall Vectra - ES Racing - Dave Newsham

9) Toyota Avensis - Dinojet - Frank Wrathall

10) VW Golf - AMD Miltek - Ollie Jackson

11) Vauxhall Vectra - Central Group Racing - Lea Wood

12) MG6 GT - 888 - Jason Plato
13) MG6 GT - 888 - Andy Neate

14) BMW 320 - WSR - Tom Onslow Cole
15) BMW 320 - WSR - Rob Collard
16) BMW 320 - WSR - Nick Foster

17) Audi A4 - Rob Austin Racing - Rob Austin
18) Audi A4 - Rob Austin Racing - Colin Turkington ????

19) Proton Gen 2 - Welch Motorsport - Dan Welch

20) Vauxhall Insignia - Thorney Motorsport - TBA
21) Vauxhall Insignia - Thorney Motorsport - TBA

22) Ford Focus - Motorbase - Mat Jackson????
23) Ford Focus - Motorbase - ??
24) Ford Focus - Motorbase - ??

25) SEAT Leon - Special Tuning -
26) SEAT Leon - Special Tuning - TBA

27) BMW 320 - Geoff Steel - Tony Gilham ???
Old 15 February 12, 17:30   #359
KindaUnstuck

Judging by what I have read elsewhere, you can expect to see Tony Gilham in one of last year's Honda Civics, no idea of the team

Aron Smith has now signed for a team

The guy who bought Plato's Cruze is past halfway in putting the funds together (as of last week).

Roll on Media Day and Round 1
Old 15 February 12, 17:30   #360
Andy81

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivaneurope View Post
According to the rules the engines must be based on production engine from the respective brand - if you race with BMW(either S2000 or NGTC) the NGTC engine must be based on production BMW engine. Citing that WSR will go with Neil Brown BMW engine, IMO WSR/eBay Motors will go with NGTC BMW - either with the new 3 series or with the larger 5 Series. And one more question - is the M3 eligible to enter in the NGTC rules?
An M3 yes, but the ones they are using are S2000.

Great news , the BMW should still be a good platform despite the age of the ones WSR are using. Could well get some very good results.
Good to see ToC get a drive too.
Andy81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 12, 17:58   #361
Alex1911

Quote:
Originally Posted by KindaUnstuck View Post
Judging by what I have read elsewhere, you can expect to see Tony Gilham in one of last year's Honda Civics, no idea of the team
that would be a wasted Civic unfortuntly.... Tony simply hasn't shown (yet) that he is a good driver
Old 15 February 12, 18:09   #362
ivaneurope

Quote:
i tought that all old Civics went in Sweden.

Quote:
Turkington has yet to annonce his plans for the Future. After all spots in WSR are taken, there are 0 chances of seeing Turkington in BTCC. And remove this from RAR. This is another silly speculation that is 0% true.
Old 15 February 12, 18:13   #363
Alex1911

Quote:
only ONE, the other one was for sale AFAIK
Old 15 February 12, 18:17   #364
Trebor901

Quote:

Turkington has yet to annonce his plans for the Future. After all spots in WSR are taken, there are 0 chances of seeing Turkington in BTCC. And remove this from RAR. This is another silly speculation that is 0% true.
How can you say its 0% true when Rob Austin on his own twitter was talking about it with Turkington. He isnt tied to WSR, hasnt been since he left them to go to STCC and didnt race with them in WTCC last year.

Motorbase were testing the Focus at brands hatch today, maybe he will end up there? they said they didnt want to name the driver maybe its a big name like Turkington
Trebor901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 12, 18:18   #365
Alex1911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trebor901 View Post

Motorbase were testing the Focus at brands hatch today, maybe he will end up there? they said they didnt want to name the driver maybe its a big name like Turkington
or it was MACDOWELL, you all remember he was scheduled for a test with Motorbase
http://www.touringcartimes.com/article.php?id=7180
Old 15 February 12, 18:28   #366
KindaUnstuck

I think people get too fixated on how long WSR have had the cars, the shells are no older than the GSR BMWs or at least 3 of the Vectras, and are younger than STR's SEATs. The Wiechers and Proteam WTCC cars are the same age, and Collard's car which is a mid-2008 build is newer than Engstler's cars, so whilst they have been around for a while, they are actually no older than most the other s2000 shells on the grid in BTCC or WTCC.
Old 15 February 12, 18:48   #367
DoMw94

Quote:
This is a news and RUMOUR thread! How can you say its '0%' true when when its not happened YET!

Until you build a time machine or learn to accuratley tell the future, I suggest you don't demand information to be removed just because you don't like it!
DoMw94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 12, 18:55   #368
Trebor901

Quote:
or it was MACDOWELL, you all remember he was scheduled for a test with Motorbase
that test happened last week apparently or was meant to
Old 15 February 12, 18:57   #369
Andy81

Quote:
that test happened last week apparently or was meant to
It was re-arranged due to the snow.
Old 15 February 12, 19:09   #370
jsmee
Uploader

Quote:
We can't be sure it is Macdowall (spelt with an A, NOT an E). If it is Macdowall, I'm sure Motorbase would have declared that was the driver as it would be expected. The fact they're secretive suggests it someone else, someone who isn't Griffin, Jackson, Macdowall or Caine...

James
jsmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 12, 19:12   #371
Trebor901

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmee View Post
We can't be sure it is Macdowall (spelt with an A, NOT an E). If it is Macdowall, I'm sure Motorbase would have declared that was the driver as it would be expected. The fact they're secretive suggests it someone else, someone who isn't Griffin, Jackson, Macdowall or Caine...

James
Thompson?
Old 15 February 12, 19:21   #372
jsmee
Uploader

Quote:
Thompson?
I've no idea, but it wouldn't surprise me if this is the case.

I'll try and identify the helmet...
Old 15 February 12, 19:28   #373
Alex1911

guys if Turkington gets the Rob Austin deal and Thomo the Motorbase drive , we would have 4 ex Champs on the grid and this 2 are really talented drivers that could stick it to Neal and Plato !!!
Old 15 February 12, 19:35   #374
KindaUnstuck

It looks like they have used the 2 seater BMW show car for the press release but here's some extra pictures:

Old 15 February 12, 20:36   #375
Eurostc

James Thompson visited the TCT forum to answer a few questions posted by the users , nice that a race car driver would take the time

Thommo James """ quote
Morning, I love the fact that I have some fantastic support and people really are interested in what I choose to do, but In answer to a couple of points, racing in the UK is dead as a professional driver roughly 96% of the grid pay to drive, so for someone like me that makes it an impossible option as even if I wanted to do it for the love of it its not enough you must bring money.. And lets face it, if the World Champion Championship winning team and former BTCC Champions cannot get the budget/sponsorship to race then leaves little hope for people without personal or family money, its just the changing face of the sport, and no doubt the grids are thriving with people will to pay to race in such a fantastic Championship.

I am very excited about the Lada Sport project, one car this year for me to develope with the team what we are hoping will be a genuinely competitive car by the end of the season, so we hit the ground running in 2013 and onwards all being well..

So Its not a hard descision as to why I might enjoy and relish the prospect of 4 years Lada with the goal to win in the WTCC, compared to trying to raise money to race in BTCC... You never know if things pan out it is possible to combine both this year. Thanks for all the support. JT """""
Eurostc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 12, 22:15   #376
ivaneurope

Quote:
It looks like they have used the 2 seater BMW show car for the press release but here's some extra pictures:

It's the touring car version of 320si Facelift. From these pictures they have either bought them from BMW motorsport or from another team.
Old 15 February 12, 22:17   #377
jsmee
Uploader

Quote:
It's the touring car version of 320si Facelift. From these pictures they have either bought them from BMW motorsport or from another team.
Read KindaUnstuck's post - he says it's a two seater showcar, not a racecar - I presume WSR will use the same age car as in 2011, the original 2007 design car, as they have three of them. Although it'd be great for them to use this age car, I think it looks great!
Old 15 February 12, 22:22   #378
DoMw94

Quote:
They wouldn't have needed to buy new cars to get this appearance. You can get the new bumpers and bonnet in a kit from BMW. Motorbase did the same in 2010.
Old 16 February 12, 12:52   #379
DoMw94

And it looks like Gilham is doing the VW cup again because a picture of a Golf is on his Facebook page described as 'title contending'.
Old 16 February 12, 18:39   #380
KindaUnstuck

Quote:
Read KindaUnstuck's post - he says it's a two seater showcar, not a racecar - I presume WSR will use the same age car as in 2011, the original 2007 design car, as they have three of them. Although it'd be great for them to use this age car, I think it looks great!

I presume it's the show car that Collard was driving round for guests towards the end of last year anyway - the decals are pretty much as they were on that car other than the Ebay on the sides and the top picture looked like there may be a second seat, but I'm looking at them on a crappy laptop so may be wrong.

The WSR race cars have always had black mirrors and windscreen strips which is why I thought that it could be the show car they had for their guests at the event they held as that had the mirrors and windscreen strip in white

With the need to get cooling to the turbo, I assume they will do at least what GSR did last year and update the front aero.
Old 16 February 12, 18:48   #381
ivaneurope

Quote:
If you look deeper into the pictures, you will see a doorhandles in the rear(behind the drivers it can be seen a small part from the rear left doorhandle).
I don't know if the body parts from the pre and post facelift versions can be altered, but it was mentioned that GSR used BMW with the old front and the new rear.
And one more thing - The car is a racecar. Why? The front bonnet has the holes for the engine bay. Look the GSR BMW from 2011 and compare it with the WSR BMW
Old 16 February 12, 18:59   #382
Alex1911

Ivan, seriously who really cares about such a really unimportant detail ??? we will see the WSR cars at Media day in final livery and body !!
Old 17 February 12, 11:34   #383
DoMw94

Tony Gilham will not be in the VW Cup after all. He will be racing the remaining ex-Team Dynamics/Honda Racing Honda Civic. He hasn't revealed who will run the car for him yet though.
Old 17 February 12, 12:20   #384
Alex1911

this NO Excuses for Tony, if he doesn't constantly do Top 10 finshes in the best car of 2011 then he SUCKS as driver, plain and simple

Front list updated !!
Old 17 February 12, 12:23   #385
DoMw94

Quote:
this NO Excuses for Tony, if he doesn't constantly do Top 10 finshes in the best car of 2011 then he SUCKS as driver, plain and simple

Front list updated !!
I would expect top ten finishes throughout the first half of the season whilst the new cars develop. After that, who knows. TG isn't a superstar driver though :-/
Old 17 February 12, 12:28   #386
Dan253
taking over the world!!

Nice article on BTCC.net saying Motorbase have been testing with their Focus, but don't want to reveal any drivers, can only speculate, but I still believe that Jackson will be staying with the team, and with the turbo fords they used last year.
Dan253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 12, 12:31   #387
Alex1911

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoMw94 View Post
I would expect top ten finishes throughout the first half of the season whilst the new cars develop. After that, who knows. TG isn't a superstar driver though :-/
he is not a superstar drive but at least you could expect him to be more on the level as guys such as Newsham, Boardman , or even Neate in terms of pace !!!
Old 17 February 12, 13:00   #388
ivaneurope

John Thorne will probobly race again with his team. You can put John Thorne as one of the Thorney Insignia drivers.
Old 17 February 12, 13:30   #389
Dan253
taking over the world!!

Newsham showed his pace at the end of last year, he could be a top driver in the future to watch and in 2012!!!
Dan253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 12, 13:51   #390
Alex1911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan253 View Post
Newsham showed his pace at the end of last year, he could be a top driver in the future to watch and in 2012!!!
should be very interesting how he fares against LEA WOOD who also has a Vectra !!
Old 17 February 12, 13:51   #391
Alex1911

Quote:
John Thorne will probobly race again with his team. You can put John Thorne as one of the Thorney Insignia drivers.
actually if I remeber John said next week will be an offcial announcement about their driverS (so he must have sighned someone for second car)
Old 17 February 12, 15:00   #392
Andy81

http://www.touringcartimes.com/article.php?id=7214

Gilham in Sheddens Civic from last year. A great oportunity to show what he can do

No clues yet as to the team that will run the car for him.
Old 17 February 12, 15:06   #393
Alex1911

updated entry list , I removed Geoff Steel cos frankly I doubt we will see them (at least at the start of season) , we may still reach 30 cars at the opening event if Techspeed and that roumored guy in RML Chevy make it. I hope Special Tuning found 2 drivers

Quote:

so far we have

1) Honda Civic - Honda Racing - Matt Neal
2) Honda Civic - Honda Racing - Gordon Shedden

3) Honda Civic - Pirtek Racing - Andrew Jordan
4) Honda Civic - Pirtek Racing - Jeff Smith

5)Toyota Avensis - Speedworks Motorsport - Tony Hughes
6)Toyota Avensis - Speedworks Motorsport - Adam Morgan

7) MG6 GT - 888 - Jason Plato
8) MG6 GT - 888 - Andy Neate

9) Toyota Avensis - Dinojet - Frank Wrathall

10) VW Golf - AMD Miltek - Ollie Jackson

11) Vauxhall Vectra - Central Group Racing - Lea Wood

12) Vauxhall Vectra - ES Racing - Chris James
13) Vauxhall Vectra - ES Racing - Dave Newsham

14) BMW 320 - WSR - Tom Onslow Cole
15) BMW 320 - WSR - Rob Collard
16) BMW 320 - WSR - Nick Foster

19) Proton Gen 2 - Welch Motorsport - Dan Welch

20) Vauxhall Insignia - Thorney Motorsport - John Thorne ?
21) Vauxhall Insignia - Thorney Motorsport - TBA

22) Honda Civic - ???? - Tony Gilham

23) Ford Focus - Motorbase - Mat Jackson????
24) Ford Focus - Motorbase - ??
25) Ford Focus - Motorbase - ??

26) SEAT Leon - Special Tuning -
27) SEAT Leon - Special Tuning - TBA
Old 17 February 12, 18:10   #394
ivaneurope

My predictions for the rest of the places(with racenumbers)

1) Honda Civic Mk9 - Honda Racing - 1 - Matt Neal
2) Honda Civic Mk9 - Honda Racing - 52 - Gordon Shedden

3) Honda Civic Mk9 - Pirtek Racing - 77 - Andrew Jordan
4) Honda Civic Mk9 - Pirtek Racing - 55 - Jeff Smith

5)Toyota Avensis - Speedworks Motorsport - 50 - Tony Hughes
6)Toyota Avensis - Speedworks Motorsport - 33 - Adam Morgan

7) MG6 GT - 888 - 3 - Jason Plato
8) MG6 GT - 888 - 44 - Andy Neate

9) Toyota Avensis - Dynojet - 11 - Frank Wrathall

10) VW Golf - AMD Miltek - 99 - Ollie Jackson

11) Vauxhall Vectra - Central Group Racing - 43 - Lea Wood

12) Vauxhall Vectra - ES Racing - 78 - Chris James
13) Vauxhall Vectra - ES Racing - 17 or 79 - Dave Newsham

14) BMW 320 - WSR - ? - Tom Onslow Cole
15) BMW 320 - WSR - 8 - Rob Collard
16) BMW 320 - WSR - 18 - Nick Foster

17) Audi A4 - Rob Austin Racing - 13 - Rob Austin
18) Audi A4 - Rob Austin Racing - 31 - Chris Swanwick

19) Proton Gen 2 - Welch Motorsport - 42 - Dan Welch

20) Vauxhall Insignia - Thorney Motorsport - 67 - John Thorne

21) Honda Civic - Tony Gilham - 34 - Tony Gilham

22) Ford Focus - Motorbase - 5 or 7 - Mat Jackson
23) Ford Focus - Motorbase - 20 - Alex MacDowell
24) Ford Focus - Motorbase - 66 - Liam Griffin

Likely entries: Special Tuning, TH Motorsport, GSR, TechSpeed
Old 17 February 12, 19:34   #395
Trebor901

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy81 View Post
http://www.touringcartimes.com/article.php?id=7214

Gilham in Sheddens Civic from last year. A great oportunity to show what he can do

No clues yet as to the team that will run the car for him.
crash into people most likely
Old 18 February 12, 16:37   #396
Street Racer 77

Toby Moody becomes ITV Sport's new BTCC race commentator.
Street Racer 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 12, 19:21   #397
DoMw94

Alex MacDowall has said on Facebook he is not doing BTCC or Ginettas but everything will be revaled next week. Probably WTCC in a 4th RML Cruze based on what he's said in the past.
Old 18 February 12, 19:25   #398
Alex1911

not a great loss IMO..
Old 18 February 12, 19:55   #399
ivaneurope

Quote:
not a great loss IMO..
Not a great loss? This may be true, but every team, driver, brand, car etc. is an important part from a motorsport championship. That leson had learned it when I wrote the same for the RML departure from the series(in the TCT comment scetions). So it's true that Alex MacDowall is not a big loss in terms of perfomance and driver skils, as he didn't impress with something big(like a win for example), but as part of the grid - it is a big loss.
And many drivers departed from BTCC in these past months and they are a big loss for the series - Chilton, Nash, Boardman and MacDowall left and several talented drivers like O'Neil may also follow the same fate due to either sponsorship issues, unable to find another team/car or pursuing other opportunities.
Old 18 February 12, 20:02   #400
Alex1911

what is really funny is that Gow tried to please RML with cosntaly restricitng the Turbo cars and pissed off a big team like AON and now both left the champioship !!!