Well, I'll start with stuff I'd just like fixed from GTR2:
1) That guy that waves you out of your pit box? He needs to be a bit sharper, I think. So many accidents happen right on pit lane because that guy has been drinking on the job or something.
2) Better pitting. If I roll six inches past the "stop" sign when I come in for a pit my pit crew should grab the car and pull it back that little bit. I shouldn't have to spend a ton of precious time putting the car in reverse and shooting for it again. Could also make the pit lane animations smoother instead of that pinball effect I see sometimes.
1) Sunlight: It would be cool if you could have a bind that would make one of your hands come up and either flip down a visor, if available, or just hold your hand up to block the sun for a moment. Of course GTR3 (or whatever) could have even more realistic flares to blind you too
2) Rain: I would like to see more realistic rain effects including the spray from passing/leading cars obscuring my view and working wipers. How about standing water in low or slightly rutted sections of the track? Make rain more realistic both while falling and once it's on the ground.
3) Dust & Smoke: Look pretty darn good now but could definitely be improved some more. Make the windshield take a good dirtying when driving through dust and/or smoke. Smoke from burnt engines in front-engine cars should also be a factor... maybe oilspray on the windshield?
1) More of it and more detailed, both visually and performance wise, *especially* in "simulation" mode! Damage is way too light on most servers in simulation.
2) Dirt on tires should be factored in.
3) Marbles on the turns should be factored in.
4) Slick spots w/without kitty litter should be factored in.
5) Damage to tire barriers, etc. would be nice to see. Have the buffer that stores skid marks be user adjustable too. If I have the graphics power and memory to store every single skid mark, loose tire and bit of debris during an entire race the game should let me do so.
AI Team Manager:
1) In a career mode where money is a real working factor it might be neat to upgrade your pit crew & mechanics.
2) Car setups: Team management *should* be able to suggest different setups for different cars on different tracks in different conditions. If I'm going for a couple of laps for qualification I should be able to select a smart qualification setup, etc. Really good AI would be able to suggest setup improvements based on my driving ability; i.e. strengths and weaknesses. Could also make suggestions on how to improve my weak spots... maybe in the form of tool tips when you mouse over a setup item.
3) MoTec could also be better implemented that what is found in GTR2 "out of the box".
Animation and graphics:
1) Shifting: In cars that actually use the sequential paddle flippers to shift the animation in game should do so too. Where an H pattern shifter is actually used then use the correct animation for that too.
2) Switches: Ignition, starter, motec, pitlane speed limiter, etc. All of these things could be animated correctly creating a more realistic experience.
3) I can adjust my mirrors in real life, why not in the game too?
4) How cool would it be to actually see the GLOW from hot brakes and exhaust systems, especially at night?
5) Bystanders could be animated as a graphics option instead of those 2D cardboard cutouts. Hell, throw birds in the sky, ballons, whatever. Deer crossing the track anyone?
6) Cars wrecked, taken out of the race, etc. could be done more realistically. If a driver gets a DNF during a race have a wrecker come and get his car off the track, not just disappear into thin air. Car on fire? Same thing (fire crews, etc.) and have the driver jump out, etc.
7) Flying obstacles including cones, tires on the loose, other debris. I'd love to see a rock chip or two happen
1) A setting where AI actually makes keeping his car intact first priority. Too often I see AI drivers act like they are in bumper cars or something.
2) More control over how the AI behaves in general with an adjustable random component thrown in too. Why do all the AI drivers have to drive the same? Couldn't a bunch of them be really sane, safe (and slower) and only a couple be suicidal maniacs?
3) In 24 hour races relief drivers should drive subtly different than their partners and should also take a bit to get "in the groove".
4) AI's behavior should be more realistic in respect to the proximity of other cars. If fighting off a pass could (should?) drive more aggressively. If car damaged or worn should drive appropriately. In other words let the AI drive more like real people would... make more mistakes when under pressure, be more cautious when caution is called for too.
That's it for now